Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are we crazy?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby snowkiwi » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:57 pm

Spend a few days to acclimatize at altitude, and drink plenty of fluids. It's a whole other ball-game up here :)

Yep to Elbert, check out Evans... and consider skipping RMNP

Postby electrobuzz » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:01 pm

I agree -- Elbert would be a nice climb, and the tallest in Colorado.

Also, I highly encourage a drive up Evans. It's beautiful, and still a bit of a secret, even to folks on the Front Range. http://www.mtevans.com

Not a big fan of RMNP here. Too expensive (if you don;t have the one year parks pass) and it is always so freaking crowded!!!

Postby krz2fer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:12 pm

Alpine wrote: I would think about maybe doing the RMNP days right up front

Agreed, and Trail Ridge Road is a nicer drive with better in route and ending views IMO than a Pikes trek. Evans is nice, but you can't do much but hike 100 ft to the summit. TRR allows you to do that, plus hike around in different locales.
Chris

Postby protusile » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:03 pm

As a fellow flat lander, let me tell you the altitude will kick you butt. You have three days to acclimate so you should be OK. I recently went to Colorado but before I went, I trained hard- I biked, I ran, and I swam. When I got to Colorado, I was so anxious to reach a summit, I attempted to reach a summit within 24 hours of arriving. I did make it to the top (Mt Evans) but had to stop a couple of times because of tunnel vision (brown outs). I have never been slowed down before like I was slowed down with the lack of oxygen at altitude.
The sun was intense at that altitude, bring some sun screen.
Find a way, winners also do.

Previous