Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best Peak near Buena Vista for beginners

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Best Peak near Buena Vista for beginners

Postby yrastorza » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:23 am

Will be staying near Bueana Vista for a week family camp, would love some suggestions for the easiest 14er nearby for a dad and 2 teenage children.
Thanks

Postby PapaBanucci » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:36 am

Huron would be a great choice. Not far at all.

Postby Alpine » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:48 am

Youv'e really got your choice there. Any of the Sawatch Range peaks would be good choices. Huron is indeed one the easier ones, but Princeton and Antero may be even closer to where you are staying, and are in the same difficulty range. Antero in particular, since there is a jeep road almost to the top. All of them have lots of vertical though.

A few years ago, I took two of my teenage sons up Princeton. I think they were 14 and 16 at the time. They did fine - one even strugles with asthma conditions. It was not easy for him, but he made it.

Postby Alpine » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:54 am

I was just remembering that we hiked up to the radio towers on Princeton the night before, so we had a shorter summit day. And, when we did Antero, we drove to the creek crossing the night before.

Point is, these peaks are harder than Huron, but if you have the ability to either drive a little further, or hike in a little ways the night before, then they are not significantly harder than Huron , on the summit day.

Postby elkheart22 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:17 am

Huron would be my choice also. Best views in the Sawatch, other
than maybe LaPlata....
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett

Postby gatornation » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:09 am

Huron is easy, but the end is really steep, which might be a little tough if you have never done this before (it was for me, killed my knee!). I would actually say Elbert is easier, particularly if you have the 4wd vehicle to get to the South Elbert trail. It is more mileage and elevation gain, but its also more gradual, and arguably a more aesthetically pleasing hike on the way up (although Huron probably does have better summit views).

Postby womanhiker » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:31 am

Huron would be my choice too. The views from the top are awesome!

I have been told Elbert would be a good first choice too. I plan on taking my brother up Elbert for his first 14er (and my first trip up Elbert) in a few weeks.

Have fun!

Postby gdthomas » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:25 am

All the Sawatch 14ers in the BV area are similar in difficulty - class 2, 8-10 mile RT, 4,000' elevation gain climbs. Huron probably has the best views and Elbert is the highest. Pick your pleasure.

Postby Mountainman18 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:02 pm

I would have to suggest Yale. It has far easier access than Huron, is closest to Buena Vista and is a very nice hike. Like all the rest of the Sawatch, there is significant elevation gain.

Postby tlee83 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:20 pm

I'd vote for Elbert, nice trail to the top. I, however, have not done Huron yet.

thx

Postby yrastorza » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:34 pm

I appreciate the feedback, I'll do a little research on those suggested. Because only some of the family will be hiking, and others doing other activities, our preference would be for the one that takes the least amount of time.
Thanks again for your thoughts and experience!!

Postby JasonF » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:38 pm

If you're looking for short amount of time and have a 4WD vehicle go with Antero. Check out the route info - can't get any easier than this one for a Sawatch 14er.
solvitur ambulando - it has been solved
"From the rising of the sun to the going down of the same, the name of the Lord shall be praised." Ps. 113:3
"For the things which are seen are temporary but the things which are not seen are eternal." 2Cor 4:18

Next