Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Any suggestions for a 1st time 14er?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Any suggestions for a 1st time 14er?

Postby YRD » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:05 pm

Hi! My father and I are looking to climb our first 14er. My father is 65 and is in good shape. We've both done a lot of hiking but neither of us have hiked above 11,000'. (And our longest hike has been 5 miles). I was hoping for Lincoln, but then saw Bill's posting about the Mosquito Range Peaks being closed. (Thank goodness for those postings.) Now I'm thinking about Gray's Peak in a couple of weeks. Any thoughts/other suggestions? Thx!

Postby roozers42 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:10 pm

Grays is a great choice and I think it's a wonderful mountain (much better than the mosquito range in my opintion). I'm sure you're already doing this, but I find that doing hikes with 1500-2000 feet of elevation gain a few times a week will really help with your training even if it's at 6000 feet. You might also try to do one long hike per week before your 14er trip, something around 8 miles with some elevation gain would be great. Have fun!
Marmot Picture taken by David Worthington, 7/3/06

Postby Slow Moving Fun Seeker » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:13 pm

I think Torreys is a much nicer peak than Grays. It's a beautiful hike, but if you only do one, I recommend Torreys over Grays. In fact, if you do both, I recommend doing Torreys first. Going up the ridge of Grays is nicer than taking the switchbacks up. Use the switchbacks for the descent.

Bierstadt is also a nice hike and probably a little easier (shorter, less elevation gain). Torreys is prettier.
We are not passengers; we are crew.

Postby YRD » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:23 pm

Thanks to both of you for your replies! I've been reading other postings as well and it sounds like either Torreys or Grays would be good choices. Looking forward to giving one, or maybe both, of them a try! I don't want to overdo it this first time out.

Postby Dan the Mountain Man » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:26 pm

You might try camping at the Steven's Gulch trailhead as well to have a nice aclimitization before the climb, seems to work fairly well for me on other 14ers. Good luck, have fun, and be safe!

Dan
Bis zur Grenze gefordet, koennen wir alle mehr, als wir wollen -Reinhold Messner

One does not climb to attain enlightenment, rather one climbs because he is enlightened- Zen Master Futomaki

Postby JasonF » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:13 pm

YRD,

You can also try Mt. Sherman as the elevation gain is small, which may be better for your first trip. Bierstadt would also be a good one.
solvitur ambulando - it has been solved
"From the rising of the sun to the going down of the same, the name of the Lord shall be praised." Ps. 113:3
"For the things which are seen are temporary but the things which are not seen are eternal." 2Cor 4:18

Postby usfgal » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:39 pm

If you decide to do both (a realistic possibility, in my opinion), the time distance b/n them will probably be about an hour, give or take, depending on the obvious factors. Have a great time!

Postby krz2fer » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:43 am

JasonF wrote:YRD,

Bierstadt would also be a good one.

Yes to that idea.
Chris