Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Princeton good for 1st timers...

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Princeton good for 1st timers...

Postby smudge » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:21 pm

I am an experienced "peak bagger" and climber and was just up on Princeton for the first time this past Saturday...it was definitely the easiest 14er I have done and one of the easier summits period. The crux, IMO, is the 4 wheel drive road to the radio towers (which is simple as well). But a great hike, amazing mountain and in a spectacular place (which is the point of it all anyway)...

So I just thought I'd recommend to those new at this, that Mt. Princeton would be a great 1st 14er...any thoughts??
~Michael

Postby gdthomas » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:34 pm

Princeton is normally not mentioned with Bierstadt, Grays, Quandry, Sherman and Torreys as a good "first 14er" but I suspect that's due in part to its distance from the Denver area. I certainly wouldn't discourage a newbie from climbing it if they wanted to provided they didn't start too far down the road.

Postby tators_tots » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:34 pm

I climbed Princeton for my 5th 14er and also found it to be really easy. I however am the type that runs about 30 miles a week. I'm guessing you are also in better than average shape. My parents and brother, who aren't in above average shape, did not find the hike easy in any way. In my opinion there are many easier 14ers for a beginner to do than Princeton.
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess for he who promised is faithful.
-Hebrews 10:23

Princeton

Postby greenwok » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:42 pm

smudge...u r kidding right? I did Princeton two years ago, and while it is beautiful to look at, I found that long and arduous boulder field (basically the entire hike) most challenging...perhaps that is because I did not start as high up as the radio towers so it was also a long hike...
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Postby smudge » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:51 pm

no, not kidding at all... granted I am in shape (run 40-60 miles/week depending), but the "boulderfield" had a trail through it. I did it in 2 hours from radio towers to radio towers. That's probably faster than most, but I was able to run the entire way down...so the trail can't be that bad...

There are a couple of little scrambly sections of the trail, but it's all easy class 1 or 2 hiking.

I was just curious as to what others thought, so it's good to see the differing view points.
~Michael

Mt Princeton

Postby mwb » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:11 pm

Smudge...You are hard core my friend. I can name many 14ers that I found easier than Princeton. (Sherman, Grays, Torreys, Quandry & others) Granted I started my hike at the bottom of the road (mistake) but I still consider it a moderate 14er. 2 hours...impressive. If I meet you on a trail I'll be sure to get out of the way. :D

Postby smudge » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:20 pm

Yeah..I thought I was moving fast, but I got passed by an older dude who was running UP! THAT was impressive. He was training for the pikes marathon...
~Michael

Postby tlee83 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:18 pm

I am in decent shape, but do not consider Princeton one of the easier ones. Granted, I started at the bottom of the 4wd road, around 8,900 ft. Bierstadt, Quandary, Grays, Torreys come to mind when I think of easy.