Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climbing Grade 3???

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:53 pm

I repeated Blanca today along the way around Lake Como.
I think Blanca & Ellingwood define "difficult class 2," but grade is another story. It's a lot easier if you camp at Como...
The road is a murderous slog and it is HOT. I stopped and gave a ride to a guy (from everyone's favorite state, been here a day) who was about to pass out about 1.5 miles up from the 2wd car parking lot. He looked like he was cooking from the inside.
We only hiked from the lake down to my truck just below Jaws 1, and I was ready for some A/C!
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby cheeseburglar » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:00 pm

Grade refers to the physical difficulty of the route, Class refers to technical difficulty.
Example- Grade 3, Class 1 or 2 would be something a trail runner would really enjoy. There is a pretty good trail all the way up Blanca/Ellingwood that you can't lose unless you try. But you will be far from your car!
The road to Lake Como is murder! Very hot anytime it has sun on it. You should definately do it very early in the morning while it is shaded by the ridge. The last two times I was up there, I walked it in the cool of night.

Previous