Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Does Dominos deliver up there!?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby Floyd » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:36 pm

OK someone has to say it...

If its not there in a half-hour, it's free.

Postby yoak » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:51 pm

we go to the wichita mountains quite often which is only 2 hours from the dallas area. its a great place to hike. its actually a wildlife refuge, just google it. unfortunatly there really isnt alot of hiking around here SeaLevel. Beavers Bend is also a pretty cool place which is also in Oklahoma, just past the red river. its got a little bit of up and down on some of the trails, its a good lil place to get a "workout". the Wichita mountains wildlife refuge is to me one of the coolest places around here that seems to be kind of a "hidden jewel" so to speak.

1200 cu. in. for a day trip is plenty

wanna narrow the food down you say?

i'd seriously go with granola bars(that you like of course), if its a day trip take a couple of sandwiches, snickers, and some water, that should be all you need. i like taking crackers(flavored or with cheese).

p.m. if you wanna get a little weekend trip up to the wichita mountains some time, i'm always down!

Postby rlw49 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:05 pm

bagels-whatever flavor you like
gatorade/water mix
walk steps at a stadium or bldg. don't need to run

Postby Papillon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:18 pm

guitmo223 wrote:Just a local custom, but there is a Subway shop that opens very early in Floressant for people like us (or buy the day before if you leave really early). Get a 12" BMT and have them wrap the sandwiches seperately.

If you buy a day early, you need to have them hold the vinaigrette or things will get messy.

Speaking of Dominos, I remember reading that the guy that did the 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days, used to bring his credit card with him on training runs and sometimes order a feast.

There is nothing like the green light one gets post-climb when it comes to feasting.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby usfgal » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:47 pm

Dean Karnazes!! He is an awesome ultra runner (read his book Ultra Marathon Man). He actually had a pizza delivered to him on a street corner during one of his runs (I believe it was a 199 miler from northern CA to a beach in Santa Monica or somewhere like that). The pizza guy actually made him some coffee, too. He literally eats feasts on the run (he has to in order to consume the adequate 20,000-30,000 calories he needs for his insane runs). I think he just set a record for time spent on a treadmill.

Postby yoak » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:17 pm

check out the reports in the southwest region for info regarding the the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, Beavers Bend, Caprock Canyon, and other trails that might be what you are looking for until you can get to Colorado.

http://www.thehikersforum.com/Southwest_template.html

check out the gallery for terrain of the above mentioned trails and more.

http://thehikersforum.com/gallery2/main ... =x6d316ffe

beef up your red blood count

Postby xarchy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:36 pm

I know it's not fashionable, but it takes red blood cells to carry oxygen and red meat helps build that, so make sure you're not shorting yourself in the weeks and days before you leave on your trip.

You might find salty snacks (nougat peanut logs) help keep you hydrated. Apple slices help regulate your blood sugar and they provide fiber and moisture.

For day hikes in hot weather, I'd drink at least a quart on the drive out, plus, I used to freeze rectangular (Hotshot/Fire Fighter equipment) water bottles and slip one in each of my pant cargo pockets to cool me as I hiked. Kept me from drinking too quickly as you can only drink what melts. (that was pre-camelback era)

When you arrive in CO, give yourself at least a day and a night to acclimate to 6-8k elevation before you head up into the mountains. Hike the foothills to get your red blood cell factory going.....

And after you do your colorado hiking thing, the first day you're back home, work on a project doing some really hard work, as you'll have an incredible amount of energy, being naturally "blood doped". The red blood cell boost reverts to normal soon, so don't wait or make the project so big you can't finish it!

Thanks for the replys!

Postby SeaLevel » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:58 pm

Thanks for all the replys. I will take it all in and carry it all up with me. Glad this site is here, it will make getting good info alot easier!
Take care up there,
Steve
Plano, Texas

What about MREs?

Postby SeaLevel » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:19 pm

Someone said MREs are a good way to go for food on a hike. I think they have like 4000 calories.

I didn't like them all that much when I was in but maybe they got better after 15 years!?
Take care up there,
Steve
Plano, Texas

Postby maustinpelster » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:20 am

i recommend:

1 1/2 oz Tequila
1/2 oz Triple Sec
1 oz Lime Juice
1 - Salt

Rub rim of cocktail glass with the lime juice, dip rim in salt. Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into the rimmed glass, and serve.

we like to call it something like a margarita.
"A Bad Day In The Mountains Is Better Than A Good Day In The City."

Re: Does Dominos deliver up there!?

Postby coloradokevin » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:31 am

SeaLevel wrote: IF dominos does deliver up there then never mind I will order out, is it order out if your already out?!

What food is suggested that will save weight, and room in the pack?

That would probably necessitate one heck of a tip!!!

Seriously though, I try to go light and simple for dayhikes... overnighters are an entirely different animal in terms of my food, but here's what I'll often have for a one-day 14'er:

Powerbar
Beef Jerky
Sunflower kernels or soy nuts
Triscuits

some variations occur depending on trip specifics... but it is usually something along those lines, with an occasional PBJ sandwich thrown in (when I'm not carrying my hydration pack, which doesn't leave room for bulkier/softer food).

Postby JB Allen » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:06 am

Dominos, Wow! People eat those??? And enjoy them???

If your going to have a pizza delivered, make it a good one...
JB Allen...

Previous