Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Does Dominos deliver up there!?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Does Dominos deliver up there!?

Postby SeaLevel » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:38 pm

Good day all,

I was wondering what food is suggested for the climb? IF dominos does deliver up there then never mind I will order out, is it order out if your already out?!

What food is suggested that will save weight, and room in the pack?

Thanks for any replys and thanks for putting up with my weird sense of humor.

Take care up there!
Steve
Take care up there,
Steve
Plano, Texas

Postby joe4186 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:04 pm

pb and j all the way

trail mix, cliff bars, mojo bars, and most important- a watermelon
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"

Watermelon?!

Postby SeaLevel » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:15 pm

Well Joe if a watermelon is on the menue then I hope FEDEX delivers up there along with Dominos! :D
Take care up there,
Steve
Plano, Texas

Postby joe4186 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:27 pm

i'd just carry it up..
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"

Postby ascent+descent=fun » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:38 pm

you could always order a pizza and carry it up

Postby Andy » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:39 pm

joe4186 wrote:...and most important- a watermelon

Good suggestion. Also don't forget celery and iceberg lettuce. Put a couple of head in your pack and you'll be good to go for days.
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Postby yoak » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:57 pm

very cool that you went and got the beginning of what might be considered an addiction. a back pack and some boots! very cool.

ok as far as meals, it really depends on what you are doing as far as a long weekend trip or an overnighter. here is what i usually take on a 3 day/ 2 night trip to do 14ers:

snacks: snickers(peanuts and chocolate and tasty, along with some kind of nuts(hahaha), either pistachio or roasted and for the summit something tasty like sweet candy(got myself a sweet tooth i guess!) i have also taken a few saltine crackers and a couple slices of cheese(helps with dinner also)

breakfast: most of the time i take an instant type of oatmeal(2 packs isnt that much room) that takes only a small amount of boiling water to get going.

lunch: "lunch" to me starts in the mountains on a summit day at around 10:30 a.m., with that said we are headed back down from the summit and i am munching on the snickers. so i usually dont bring anything for "lunch"

dinner: one freeze dried meal(yessir sealevel, picked up at the rei over there off of preston road) along with 2 ramen. what i will often do is save saltine crackers for one of the evening meals.

now with all of this i just wrote it seems like alot. its really not, you have to eat up at that altitude in order to have good energy. coming from Richardson on a tight time table, we hardly have, oh i dunno about zilch time acclimatize.

my experience leads me to this:
bring foods that you really enjoy eating, altitude affects my eating unless i have been up there a few days. however everyone is different

nice to see a north texan posting!
hope i could help.

Postby guitmo223 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:18 pm

Just a local custom, but there is a Subway shop that opens very early in Floressant for people like us (or buy the day before if you leave really early). Get a 12" BMT and have them wrap the sandwiches seperately.

Breakfast: 1/2 a Subway BMT on the way to the trailhead.

Lunch: 1/2 a Subway BMT at the summit. Or, as on my last hike, you can ditch the BMT and go for a bacon double cheeseburger in Buena Vista on the way home. 8)
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks tex!

Postby SeaLevel » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:49 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I hope it is an addiction! This "challenge" has really got me off my buttocks. I guess having a goal helped me.

What do you do to train? Please don't say run! Where are some good places to hike here? I want to do the Lavon hike next week, well part of it, maybe 4 hours or so.

Bring food I enjoy eating? I need to narrow that one down some! I love to eat, thus my present shape: ROUND!

I think I will hit REI on Preston tomorrow. I may of made a mistake with the pack I got. I thought a 1200cc pack for a day trip would be ok. My friend is saying a 1500 - 1800 would be better. I got the 1200cc with a 100oz bladder.

Thanks again and I hope I can bounce questions off of ya!

Take care up there,
Steve
Take care up there,
Steve
Plano, Texas

Postby stevevets689 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:39 pm

Well considering the wages they would have to pay the delivery boy because of the inherent risk of the delivery, I am anticipating your order as a newly hired Domino's employee! My job title? Pizza Sherpa!!!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Postby cheeseburglar » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:49 pm

I've found carrying about three pounds of cheese, sharp cheddar is my favorite, is the way to go. Once you get real hungry, it will taste better than a pizza! Plus it contains enough calories to keep you alive for a week.

Postby usfgal » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:52 pm

Pre-cooked rice and chicken, salmon, tuna, crab, clams (anything that comes in a can) - a little salt and it tastes like you made it at home!
Have a great time!

Next