Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

grays/torreys questions

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

grays/torreys questions

Postby premily » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:48 pm

hi all,
looking to do grays for our first 14er...possibly a grays/torreys combo. both in pretty good shape and have hiked at high altitudes, but have never done a 14er before...

wondering what is a good start time would be?
a good place to camp the night before?
any other advice?

thanks (o:

Postby Rex » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:51 pm

if you can start at the trailhead at about 6, it should give you time to summit both torreys and grays with enough time to get off the mountain before storms move in. it is recommended that you are off the mountain before noon, but sometimes if theres no clouds in the sky you can stay up all day. I would recommend Kelso ridge Class 3, but do not know of current snow conditions.

Postby guitmo223 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:55 pm

Grays and Torreys are a good choice if you haven't been up on 14ers yet. If you'e in good shape, the combo won't be necessarily "easy," but should be doable.

As far as a start time, the earlier the better, but for G&T, I'd say you'd be safe with a 6:00 AM start. You can camp at the trailhead. Bring rain gear.

Cheers and good climbing! :D
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby roozers42 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:57 pm

There are some spots to camp at the TH for Grays/Torreys. I don't know what your climbing experience is other than 14ers, but if you are new to hiking/climbing, stick with the standard route unless you have more experienced partners. I'd aim to be hiking at sunrise or a bit before - it's early but you'll have more of the trail to yourselves. Have fun!
Marmot Picture taken by David Worthington, 7/3/06

Postby guitmo223 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:57 pm

Rex wrote:I would recommend Kelso ridge Class 3, but do not know of current snow conditions.

This is probably not a good idea for someone who is not accustomed to this altitude or level of climbing.
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby roozers42 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:58 pm

Guitmo, you beat me! At least our advice is the same... :D
Last edited by roozers42 on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marmot Picture taken by David Worthington, 7/3/06

Postby rmcrsf » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:50 pm

Grays & Torreys are pretty straight forward climbs. Agree that it's best to stick to the standard Kelso route - easy to find because there will be dozens of other taking that route. The ridge between the two is a bit of a scramble down the top 250 ft of Grays and at the very top of Torreys but nothing too tough. I climbed it with my 13 year old daughter and a 13 year old first time climber last weekend. We left the trailhead at 7am and hit the summit of Grays at 9:15, spent 15 minutes on top of Grays and summited Torreys at 10:15am. We spent another 15 minutes on Torreys and were back down and in the car about 12:30pm. On the descent from Torreys, take the same ridgeline between the peaks to just above the bottom of the saddle on the Grays side and traverse across back to the main trail below Grays. You should be able to see the trail the whole way. Be careful of your footing but you can hike the whole traverse. If you want a bit of fun, once you hit the main Grays trail, you can slide down the snow before the big switchback. Depending on how packed down it is, you can get going fast enough to have fun but won't go so fast that it's scary or dangerous. Just use your feet as brakes and have fun.

Postby swm88er » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:58 pm

Last edited by swm88er on Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." --Matthew 26:41

Postby swm88er » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:59 pm

Have a good time keep a eye open you might see some goats too.

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.p ... _id=303748

There is still a little snow up there too, might want to consider bringing trekking poles. If you dont have them they are a $4 rent at REI.
"The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." --Matthew 26:41

Trek Polls at Wal-mart for 15.00 pair

Postby Greg777 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:38 pm

Got a pair for my son and me...and have been happy with the shock spring built in. The handles are rubber so... a little bat or hocky tape helps but...$15.00 WOW
Daydream with deadlines
SKYPE Address = sgregs777

Postby krz2fer » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:37 am

Where are the camping spots at this location? I'm aiming to do a camp / hike combo later in July. Any specs on these camp sites from anyone?
Chris

Postby echotree » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:06 am

Let me just chime in on the Kelso Ridge thing. Due to some unfortunate circumstances mentioned elsewhere, I ended up climbing the final half of it in the dark. But let me just say...it is a lot of fun. It's not too tough, but there is a good chunk of exposure.

There's not a lot of snow, but a bunch of the danger is that what is still there is in really dangerous spots. Narrow, steep gulleys between walls of loose rock are filled with patches of snow and ice on top of loose scree. So, you try to depend on your hands because it's slippery, but then the handhold comes off in your hand. Yay!

Just after the knife edge, you have to go around to the left of the white stone tower (where my dog, Dexter, spent the night Saturday, incidentally) in pretty deep and steep snow. You're at the top of Dead Dog at that point, so there is pretty serious exposure. We did it at night, so I'm pleased to report that we couldn't even see the danger. :roll:

So, it was a lot of fun and challenging, but I wouldn't recommend it for another couple of weeks or so for able-bodied newcomers, so it can dry out a bit.
"I lift up my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from? ...He will not let your foot slip—He who watches over you will not slumber."

Next