Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

My wife's 1st 14er -Mount Bierstadt

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

My wife's 1st 14er -Mount Bierstadt

Postby Denvergriz » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:22 pm

Took my wife on her first 14er today. We went to Bierstadt because it offered the least amount of exposure and she was concerned about that. Overall it took us 6 hours including time on the summit.

What I noticed from her and others (many people on the mountain) was concern around 3 topics: exposure, weather, and conditioning.

Bierstadt is a very good 1st 14er because there is very little exposure-in fact- none until the last 200 vertical feet and even then it is minimal. Since the elevation gain is less than 3,000 ft and the hike is less than 7 miles round trip, you improve the chance of dealing with weather problems or not summiting because of poor conditioning.

Today an 8 year child and a father celebrating his 70 birthday both summited when we did. Well done!!!!

While there is still some snow on the mountain, there was no snow at any perilous place. Given the warm weather and very significant run off, I would think that next weekend almost all of the snow would be gone.

Good luck!!!

Postby ajkagy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:34 pm

congrats to your wife! Hopefully many more to come! :D

Re: My wife's 1st 14er -Mount Bierstadt

Postby Papillon » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:56 pm

Denvergriz wrote:Took my wife on her first 14er today. We went to Bierstadt because it offered the least amount of exposure and she was concerned about that. Overall it took us 6 hours including time on the summit.

Glad you and your wife had a successful climb DG. On a side note, did you take a pic of me and my fraulein on Quandary yesterday with our camera circa 11:00 AM? On a side note squared, did she take a pic of you and your buddy?

If so, thanks for the info.

Papi
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs