Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

easiest route of all the 14ers

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

easiest route of all the 14ers

Postby tators_tots » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:48 am

I am looking to take my fiancée on her first 14er this summer in August sometime. We are open to any of them as she lives in Colorado Springs. I've climbed 8 14ers before so I have a fair amount of experience on these things. I want to find the easiest route possible for her to start out with. By easy I'm looking for something with a great trail as I don't want her to get discouraged with scree and that kind of stuff. I remember Elbert having a nice dirt trial pretty much to the top. Are there any other 14ers like that? I'm really hoping she has a great first experience and wants to return to do more 14ers with me.

Thank you all for your advice.
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess for he who promised is faithful.
-Hebrews 10:23

Postby blue5oone » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:58 am

Take a look at either Bierstadt or Quandary. Those are relatively short climbs with great trails and minimal scree. You could also check out Gray's. Unfortunately, none of these mountains will provide any solitude.

Postby tators_tots » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:09 am

I've already done Grays and Quandry. Solitude would be nice. What about Sneffles, how is its trail?
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess for he who promised is faithful.

Postby tators_tots » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:14 am

How are the trails on Huron and Belford?

Postby JimR » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:25 am

Bierstadt & Handies are probably the easiest ones that you haven't done yet. Bierstadt will be crowded; less so during the week. Handies will be less crowded, & it's in a beautiful area, but it is farther from Denver. If you have a few days, & want to see some of the state, I'd say go for Handies. Huron in the Sawatch is another possibility. I remember that it's easy (though not quite as easy as Bierstadt & Handies), but I don't remember whether there is actually a trail at the top.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.

Postby Skip Perkins » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:39 am

Sneffles is class 2+ and I wouldn't call it easy for a beginner! I loved it but my sister-in-law still doesn't talk to me after we tried to get her up Sneffles. Bierstadt and Handies are good suggestions.

Postby tators_tots » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:43 am

Handies looks like just what I was wanting to do. The trail looks great on this mountain from what I saw on the route description. Neither of us have seen much of that part of the state and it is looks remarkable so even if we don't get the peak we get some time together in a beautiful location. We have to take advantage of going to places like that before we go back to school in Nebraska this fall. Do you know much about that area such as what other outdoor things we could do in that area and where we should camp?
Thanks

Postby bjorn » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:53 pm

I'd suggest Handies as well. I took my girlfriend up two years ago in august. She had never done anything remotely like that, but she was just fine. I don't believe the trails get any easier than that one. Good luck. I suggest camping in at the American Basin Trail Head as well...great location.

Postby KirkT » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:05 pm

In my humble opinoin of the ones I've climbed, I think that Huron is one of the easiest. It's not real long and it does a have a trail all the way to the summit! Very easy hike and short. It's not too far away from the city as well, like 130 miles from Highlands Ranch.

Kirk

Postby blue5oone » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:25 pm

Huron is a great choice as well. I would vote against Sneffles. There is some exposure (class 4?) right near the summit that might cause some concern for a newbie. There is also quite a bit of talus and scree as you make your way to the col via the standard route.

Postby Floyd » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:03 pm

Took my Dad up Sneffels for his first 14er. If he wasn't such a stubborn old man, he wouldn't have made it. (But he's thrilled he did, and hasn't stopped talking about it a year later) But I wouldn't recommend it for a first - we just happened to be in Ouray.

Easiest - Handies from American Basin. If she likes it, you may be able talk her into Redcloud/Sunshine the next day. Not very hard, just a longer hike. Bierstadt and Sherman are very easy, but you'll have CROWDS. Huron is another solid choice for a first time. The views from both Huron and Handies are spectacular and would definitely spark her interest for future climbs.

That being said, Kit Carson and Challenger will be my wife's first next year. We've got to give it some time before she can leave our now 6-month old for a night with a babysitter . My wife loves waterfalls but being on a summit really doesn't drive her. I figured we'd compromise. 8)

Re: easiest route of all the 14ers

Postby Hacksaw » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:43 pm

tators_tots wrote:I am looking to take my fiancée on her first 14er this summer in August sometime. We are open to any of them as she lives in Colorado Springs. .... I want to find the easiest route possible for her to start out with. By easy I'm looking for something with a great trail as I don't want her to get discouraged with scree and that kind of stuff.

Ah gee, there is a really big hill to the west of your fiancee's house........ :roll: :wink:
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Next