Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Grays/Torreys or Bierstadt for a beginner?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby SOD » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:39 am

Because of your time frame, I would think Bierstadt would be the better choice. If you're leaving at 6:00am, you won't get up there until about
7:00am. If you want to be back by 2:00pm, that means your leaving from up there around 1:00pm. That leaves you 6 hours of climb time.
It's been awhile since I've done Gray's, but I believe it is 9 miles round trip from the trailhead (and I don't know if you can even get up there yet).

Bierstadt is a shorter hike, and they have a boardwalk through the willows, so the lack of hiking boots shouldn't cause too many issues.
So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Postby badger4 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:48 am

I think Grays is an easier hike with a more scenic approach. It is 8 mi round trip. I was there two weeks ago and there was still a bunch of snow on the trail through the willows.

Good luck.
Couldn't have been asleep for more than three hours...

Postby MikeyC » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:19 pm

I hiked Grays/Torreys on 6/9. Grays I think would be doable alone in 6 hours as I did both and was back to the trail head in 7. Thats with a 40min break on top of Torreys. The snow on the trail kinda sucked in the afternoon though. Grays alone by the Standard route is 7.5 miles. Add Torres and it's 8.25 miles.

-Mike

Bierstadt Mud

Postby echotree » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:57 pm

I hiked Bierstadt this past Saturday. The boardwalk helps, but there is plenty of mud that you still have to slog through or try to get around. Sometimes it's 6 inches deep. Still, I saw lots of people in tennishoes (and one lady in sandals - not sure how far up she got), and some people even in shorts. The hike is basically straight up since the switchbacks are covered with snow.

Here are a couple photos of the mud and the snow on the summit. Note how deep my feet are in that muck. :?

Last edited by echotree on Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I lift up my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from? ...He will not let your foot slip—He who watches over you will not slumber."

Re: Bierstadt Mud

Postby RockParkour » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:45 pm

echotree wrote:Image

HAHA :lol: You look just like your avatar!

Postby echotree » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:52 pm

Just noticed that when I posted it. It's a fairly common expression of mine. :?
"I lift up my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from? ...He will not let your foot slip—He who watches over you will not slumber."