Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

suggestions for a 2-3 day backpack + 14er next week??

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

suggestions for a 2-3 day backpack + 14er next week??

Postby yamasani » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:01 am

Hi all,

My friend & I are looking for a 2-3 day backpack with a 14er or 2 for this coming week. Preferably in the Lake City area but we could go as far north as Leadville/Aspen. I have tried looking for routes on my own using the trip reports, but it seems like every route I look at either a) requires 4WD to get to the TH or b) requires skis/ extensive post-holing.

Any suggestions for a 2 or 3 day backpack w/ a 14er that does not require climbing equipment, skis/snowshoes, or 4WD?

Pros: we are in excellent shape and are used to doing long, strenuous hikes at altitude. Have hiked (not climbed - no equipment) several 13ers and 1 14er.

Cons: 2WD sedan, no climbing equipment/experience; no skis/snowshoes

Any suggestions - taking into account current trail & trailhead conditions as well as camping conditions - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PS - One possibility we're looking at is Redcloud - can we get to the Silver Creek-Grizzly Gulch TH w/ a 2WD sedan??

Postby MtHurd » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:17 am

Redcloud really wouldn't be worthy of a 2 to 3 day backpack, only a day trip.

You could try San Luis from the Stewart Creek side. I believe if I remember right there is a loop that you can take that will swing you back to the trailhead without repeating much of your route so you could probably find a place to camp somewhere near the middle. You will probably have to cross some snow fields but it shouldn't be too bad.

Belford Group

Postby mountaineer56 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:02 pm

If it were me, I would do the Belford Group which consists of Mount Belford, Mount Oxford, and Missouri Mountain. If you are in good shape you can hit all three in one long day or hit missouri first from the Missouri Gulch trail head. After missouri take the north face col to belford. If you are up for it and weather is good, take the easy west slope over to oxford. If you would rather do two on one day and the other on a separate day, I would do belford 1st, than oxford. descend the south slope of Oxford and camp just below. One the nest day you can take the trail to elk pass and traverse the south ridge to missouri. All of these routes are class 1 and 2. No equipment needed. The trail head is about 23 miles from Buena Vista. Take a look at the 'Colorado Fourteener's' book on page 109. This is a relatively easy combo for those on good shape. Hope this helped

p.s no 4wd needed. dirt road leads to trail head.
Live to climb another day

Postby lordhelmut » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:36 am

Another good one in the Sawatch range is camp in the Horn Fork Basin surrounded by Harvard and Columbia. If you want to make it a 2-3 day, you could hike in, set up camp day 1, climb harvard day 2 and then explore the basin (there is a cool lake right there, its a very nice basin, one of the best i've seen) and then climb Columbia day 3 and hike out.

Another alternative, if you have time and energy, is climb Harvard and traverse over to Columbia.

Postby msc118 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:50 am

I was actually looking at doing a similar trip in a week or two, what do you all think of the Lincoln group? I had been looking at a couple of different routes, anyone have any suggestions?

Mindy
"Be very careful then, how you live, not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity." Ephesians 5:15-16

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:32 am

msc118 wrote:I was actually looking at doing a similar trip in a week or two, what do you all think of the Lincoln group? I had been looking at a couple of different routes, anyone have any suggestions?

Uh, oh, here we go again...

The Lincoln group is closed to hikers until 2008 at least, due to private land issues. It's also not a good candidate for a backpack; the campable areas are all near roads. See this thread: http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5737
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby msc118 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:31 am

Whoops, I don't know how I forgot about that! Just kidding! :oops:
"Be very careful then, how you live, not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity." Ephesians 5:15-16