Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Colorado Wildlife

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Colorado Wildlife

Postby guitmo223 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:46 pm

Twice in one week I've almost run over bighorn sheep. One was on Evans Road where I had to literally push the herd out of my way, and more recently, I had to lock up all fours to keep from hitting sheep on CO 84 on the way to La Plata. The goats at least seem a little bit smarter - they're much more adept at food mooching, but make themselves lower profile targets for cars.

As endangered and protected as these animals supposedly are, you wouldn't guess they'd be grazing in the middle of a major highway.

Has anybody else had these issues? If I actually hit one, do you think the DOW would let me take it home as a trophy?
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby Aspen Summit » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:05 pm

On my way back from Canyonland, a startled doe rammed into the front headlight of my SUV and took out the turning light & cracked the headlight. I stopped to snap a photo the doe -- unmoved on along side of the road. Minutes later, it got up and ran off.

A German tourist stopped by to see if I needed help. I didn't but we had a good laugh. There were deers lining along the highway like you wouldn't believe. We had to take it slow to get back to Moab.

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!

Postby jdsiro » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:02 am

Aspen Summit - It's deer, not deers. Same goes for moose. It's a pet peeve of mine.

guitmo223 - Having worked for Colorado Division of Wildlife, I can assure you that if you hit one, the DOW will not let you keep it. You can get into quite a peck of trouble with the District Wildlife Managers (game wardens) for possessing a carcass out of season without a license. If you do happen to hit one, you need to notify the local Division office as soon as possible and tell them what happened. They will be understanding, but they will keep the animal hide and head. I know that the meat from roadkill, if it's not damaged, is usually donated to somebody who needs it. You can contact your local office or go to the DOW website for more information.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/
"Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." ~Isaiah 40:30-31 (ESV)

Postby Aspen Summit » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:09 am

Thanks for the correction, jdsiro :oops: I didn't know it's a collective noun. Learning new things all the time! Wooo Hoooooooo!! 8)

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!

Postby Skip Perkins » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:37 am

Welcome to driving in northern Wisconsin. We have the problem of playing bumper cars with deer every day at dusk.

Postby 14ers4me » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:16 am

Skip Perkins wrote:Welcome to driving in northern Wisconsin. We have the problem of playing bumper cars with deer every day at dusk.

I can feel you there. My whole family lives in the Gladstone/Escanaba area (in the U.P.) and my uncle has hit 30+ deer in his day. Granted he doesnt swerve to miss them because his theory is that hitting them with an F-350 is better than trying to lock up the brakes or swerve because of the size of the vehicle.
Colorado-The only place beautiful enough to call home

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:21 am

The road to Lake City (149) coming from Gunnison is an absolute land mine of deer, who have some serious suicidal tendancy issues, specially at night.

Last weekend some hungry mtn goats came up to our car at Evans road, we gave them a 20 oz parmasean cheese shower, they seemed to enjoy it. Funniest part was listening to my chromosome missing friend trying to make sheep noises at them.

Postby grizz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:04 am

I've been seeing a lot of Elk on the road near my house each night for about a week now.

Last night we had 6 deer laying down at the end of our property

I've see Big Horn sheep in Grant during the winter time.

Never hit anything though. Thank God.

I love watching the Elk the most. The bull Elk are hugh! :shock:
Colorado Native

Postby badger4 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:43 am

Skip-

I'm from WI and spent a lot of time up near Eagle River and Rhinelander. The deer there are so stupid. They'll wait until you get 10 ft from them, then jump in front of your car. We were parked at the end of my buddies driveway up near St. Germain and we had a deer run into the side of our parked car. It just gets frustrating after a while. I miss the lakes up there, thats for sure.
Couldn't have been asleep for more than three hours...

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:45 am

I don't think bighorn sheep are endangered or protected. I believe there is a hunting season for bighorn.
The best way to not damage your car, or the wildlife, is to drive a little slower at night! Sometimes they do just jump at you though!