Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Which 14er?!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Which 14er/s ?!

Poll ended at Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:54 am

Quandry Peak
25%
Grays and/or Torreys
25%
Bierstadt and/or Evans
25%
Others...
25%

Total votes : 40

Which 14er?!

Postby RockParkour » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:54 am

Which mountain should I attempt to summit first? and Why?

I want to hike my first during the last half of June, but I have no snowshoes, crampons etc. I'm hoping for a hike without any snow.

Thank you!

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:00 am

Avoid Bierstadt early season; even if the snow is mostly melted the willows can be a muddy mess. I'd go for Grays/Torreys since they're closer to the front range than Quandary and a shorter hike, plus just outstanding scenery. Check here again just before you go to find out the latest snow conditions.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:40 am

If you drive a regular passenger car, the road to the Grays Torreys trail head from Bakerville exit can be rough. It might be doable if you're used to that kind of driving but a mistake could be costly! An SUV shouldn't have a problem. You will see Subarus.

The regular Quandary trailhead is much closer to the pavement and usually not as rough.

Postby tators_tots » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:56 am

I have done G&T and Quandry. G&T rank much easier in my book. Of course I made Quandry much more difficult than it had to be by starting the hike at 2am to catch a sweet sunrise at 13,000 feet + and I also had to run a sick Texas girl back to the cars. Quandry is much more rocky than the trails on G&T as I rememeber them. What's nice about G&T is that you can set out to submit just one peak if you get out there and have good conditions and feel good in the thin air you can bag both.
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess for he who promised is faithful.
-Hebrews 10:23

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:54 am

robinmtns wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:Avoid Bierstadt early season; even if the snow is mostly melted the willows can be a muddy mess. .
what willow issues are you referring to, now that the boardwalk has been installed?

See, for example, this TR: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmain
The trail through the willows is in a particularly poor state right now. There are long sections where the snow has melted leaving the trail quite muddy. Some hikers apparently don‘t like to get their boots dirty and so they have chose to hike on the edges of the main trail which creates a situation in which the trail becomes wider and wider and the vegetation suffers as a result. If you‘re heading up there anytime soon plan to get a little muddy.

While he might have been referring to a social trail to "Gomer Gully" (hard to tell from the TR), in my experience the willows are pretty messy while the snow is still melting. I just thought Stevens Gulch would be a more pleasant experience for a first 14er this time of year. I agree Bierstadt is usually the easiest 14er hike around.
Also from this weekend, from Aubrey's Bierstadt report:

Postby Layne Bracy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:08 pm

My vote: Sherman

Reason 1: about as easy as the others being mentioned
Reason 2: an uglier mountain(mining remnants, etc.) than the others

You'll still enjoy it, since it's your first, but then future outings will be a step up.

(This only applies if you plan to do them all. If not, skip Sherman and do one of the others being mentioned!)

Postby RockParkour » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:55 pm

MountainHiker wrote:If you drive a regular passenger car, the road to the Grays Torreys trail head from Bakerville exit can be rough. It might be doable if you're used to that kind of driving but a mistake could be costly! An SUV shouldn't have a problem. You will see Subarus.

The regular Quandary trailhead is much closer to the pavement and usually not as rough.

Thanks! I'll be in a Jeep or a F-350...

Postby RockParkour » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:38 pm

Layne Bracy wrote:My vote: Sherman

Reason 1: about as easy as the others being mentioned
Reason 2: an uglier mountain(mining remnants, etc.) than the others

You'll still enjoy it, since it's your first, but then future outings will be a step up.

(This only applies if you plan to do them all. If not, skip Sherman and do one of the others being mentioned!)

I do plan on hiking them all. I'll only be in CO for three years, so I have to take advantage of this time!

Thanks for posting up about your 'other..' vote.

I would like to read a post about the other 'other..' votes! :D

Postby swm88er » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:13 pm

Hey,
Since you live in Black Forest an early season climb up Pikes Peak might be a good idea, because you can knock-out the most commercialized mountain in Colorado :x while still avoiding most of the crowds. Like Layne Bracy said "You'll still enjoy it, since it's your first, but then future outings will be a step up."
Only problem is its long...really long!
"The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." --Matthew 26:41

Postby RockParkour » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:33 am

swm88er wrote:Hey,
Since you live in Black Forest an early season climb up Pikes Peak might be a good idea, because you can knock-out the most commercialized mountain in Colorado :x while still avoiding most of the crowds. Like Layne Bracy said "You'll still enjoy it, since it's your first, but then future outings will be a step up."
Only problem is its long...really long!

Yeah... The long part is what hurts. I'm trying to ramp up my girlfriends conditioning as well. A shorter hike would be better for us. I was hoping to save a Pikes hike for a work related function later this year. I'm keeping my eye on it though. I can see it from the couch and I'm waiting for the white stuff to disappear!

Postby swm88er » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:54 am

Well you have a lot of options....you can drive to just about any 14er, climb it, and get back home all in one day from where we live. I've done Wetterhorn in one day...had to get up at 2 AM :!: but it was worth it. Just have fun!
"The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." --Matthew 26:41

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:12 pm

I just saw this good shot of the back side of the Sawtooth from Saturday from TGR (by mtbikerskierchick) and thought I'd pass it along. It looks like doing the 'tooth right now would involve considerable snow crossing.
(I'm such a leech sometimes... :))

Next