Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Helmet

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby grizz » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:10 pm

Actually, I am going to disagree with that statement. Your snowboard helmet would actually offer more protection than many of the foam based climbing helmets. But, would you want to wear your snowboard helmet while climbing rock in the summer, I'd be inclined to say no. It would be so hot as to be very uncomfortable, it's designed for maximum coverage and insulation.

Here is a general statement, that can freely be attacked, but many helmets can server double duty. Though you must weigh the advantages/disadvantages of doing so. Example, I've seen people use bike helmets for climbing, while they are better than nothing, they offer little protection to the sides of your dome and are designed more for a single major impact on top. Yet another example, I ski in my mountaineering helmet on occasion, breathability is great for climbing, but it doesn't offer the same amount of impact protection as my ski helmet. So you have to think about what the helmet was initially designed for, and decide what you are sacrificing using it for double duty.

Eric

Thanks Eric for putting me on the right track. I guess I was miss informed about helmets. Damn salesman! I have three helmets and should only have one motorcycle helmet! :lol:
Colorado Native

Postby Hiking Mike » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:16 pm

How expensive are climbing helmets?
...And my memory shall serve me in the way that memories do:
To conjure bygone times, and shine them bright anew,
To erase the strain of effort from faces of the past,
And resurrect slight triumphs as glories unsurpassed...

Postby Scott Rogers » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:19 pm

My helmet of choice is the Petzl Ecrin Roc. It goes for around $90, but you can sometimes find it on sale. Mine has saved my life on numerous occasions, and now I don't climb much without it (except for easy class 1-3 peakbagging outings).

Postby otr13 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:42 pm

Guess I'm crazy like this, but sometimes I take gloves even when I don't think my hands will get cold. Sometimes I take a headlamp even when I think I'll be back before dark. And sometimes I take my helmet even when I don't think I'll use it.

Postby Spam » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:45 pm

otr13 wrote:Guess I'm crazy like this, but sometimes I take gloves even when I don't think my hands will get cold. Sometimes I take a headlamp even when I think I'll be back before dark. And sometimes I take my helmet even when I don't think I'll use it.

I think I know this one....Sarcasm? :lol: Sorry I like that sense of humor!
"Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory." -- Ed Viesturs

Postby grizz » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:52 pm

otr13 wrote:Guess I'm crazy like this, but sometimes I take gloves even when I don't think my hands will get cold. Sometimes I take a headlamp even when I think I'll be back before dark. And sometimes I take my helmet even when I don't think I'll use it.

You are SOOO CRAZY!! :shock:

If I lived in AZ I would probably leave my gloves at home too.

I like Sarcasm as well :)
Colorado Native

Postby thebeave7 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:07 pm

g wrote:Sweet, so I can use my motorcycle helmet when mountaineering?

You sure can. I'm sure it would protect you even better than a mountaineering helmet. As long as you don't mind dripping sweat all day and having little/no peripheral vision. :roll:
Eric
PS Let me know when and where you head out with it on, I'll photograph you, I'm sure the motorcycle helmet Co. would love the multipurpose use.

Postby luv2hikejulie » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:57 am

thebeave7 wrote:
grizz wrote:
This may be a stupid question but can my snowboard helmet double as a climbing helmet or is it best to buy a seperate helmet? Sorry for the newb question I've never used a helmet but have been thinking about the question.

No. Helmets don't typically double for different sports/activities. Helmets are designed for what kind and how much impact it will incounter. Some helmets can double between similar sports/activities. Something is better than nothing though. Look at the differance between motorcycle helmets, bicycle helmets, skateboard helmets, snowboard helmets, rock climbing helmets, there're all a bit different.

Actually, I am going to disagree with that statement. Your snowboard helmet would actually offer more protection than many of the foam based climbing helmets. But, would you want to wear your snowboard helmet while climbing rock in the summer, I'd be inclined to say no. It would be so hot as to be very uncomfortable, it's designed for maximum coverage and insulation.

Here is a general statement, that can freely be attacked, but many helmets can server double duty. Though you must weigh the advantages/disadvantages of doing so. Example, I've seen people use bike helmets for climbing, while they are better than nothing, they offer little protection to the sides of your dome and are designed more for a single major impact on top. Yet another example, I ski in my mountaineering helmet on occasion, breathability is great for climbing, but it doesn't offer the same amount of impact protection as my ski helmet. So you have to think about what the helmet was initially designed for, and decide what you are sacrificing using it for double duty.

Eric

Thanks for the info...I'll probably go get a climbing helmet since I am also getting into SAR the team will probably have it a required piece of equipment.

Postby Hiking Mike » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:34 am

Scott Rogers wrote:My helmet of choice is the Petzl Ecrin Roc. It goes for around $90, but you can sometimes find it on sale. Mine has saved my life on numerous occasions, and now I don't climb much without it (except for easy class 1-3 peakbagging outings).

Thanks. I suppose that's reasonable if it's durable enough to last a while.
...And my memory shall serve me in the way that memories do:
To conjure bygone times, and shine them bright anew,
To erase the strain of effort from faces of the past,
And resurrect slight triumphs as glories unsurpassed...

Postby Ineedaltitude » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:43 pm

For me, it's not so much about stuff falling on my head, but more about me falling on my head . . . . .

Postby rj2000 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:55 pm

Interesting post. I thought a nice beer dispensing helmet would have been fine. I guess I was wrong. maybe that is best suited for when you reach the bottom of the mountain. #-o
The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

Postby roozers42 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:29 am

20% off one item in the rei-outlet ends today. here's an affordable climbing helmet in case people are interested....

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/760892
Marmot Picture taken by David Worthington, 7/3/06

PreviousNext