Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Helmet

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
User avatar
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: Denver

Helmet

Postby mtn_hikin » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:34 pm

So what is the rule of thumb most of you follow for which peaks and when you need a helmet other than the obvious spots?

Posts: 830
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:19 am
Location: CO

Postby grizz » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:39 pm

I always bring it and make the call on the trail. It has a lot to do with the terrain. Not all climbs require a helmet, but most do. IMO
Colorado Native

User avatar
Posts: 2046
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:39 pm
Location: Edwards (Singletree), CO

Postby gdthomas » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:57 pm

Generally speaking, for summer climbs I wear a helmet on Class 3 routes and higher. Some would even use a helmet on the Class 2+ peaks such as Lindsey, Sneffels and Blanca. Ultimately it's a personal choice.

User avatar
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:21 pm
Location: Greeley

Postby Inky6900 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:12 pm

I've always used mine on Class 4 climbs. I haven't used it on anything less than that but wish I would've on Mount Lindsey and Challenger Point with all the loose rocks people kicked free.
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

User avatar
Posts: 1976
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: People's Republic of Boulder

Postby thebeave7 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:13 pm

Well, personally my rule of thumb on helmets is, "can something fall and hit me in the head?", then I need a helmet. The helmet is primarily to save you from falling objects, whether they be rocks, ice, or gear people above you drop. The way this differs from the above posts, is that even if I'm on class 2, if there is danger of something falling or bouncing down at me, I usually have the helmet.
Eric

User avatar
Posts: 1803
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:07 pm
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Postby Andy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:21 pm

thebeave7 wrote:Well, personally my rule of thumb on helmets is, "can something fall and hit me in the head?", then I need a helmet. The helmet is primarily to save you from falling objects, whether they be rocks, ice, or gear people above you drop. The way this differs from the above posts, is that even if I'm on class 2, if there is danger of something falling or bouncing down at me, I usually have the helmet.
Eric

I agree with Eric. The question is not "How hard is the climb?", the questions is "Will stuff fall on my head?" or to a lesser extent: "Will I bonk my head on something?"
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

User avatar
Posts: 2046
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:39 pm
Location: Edwards (Singletree), CO

Postby gdthomas » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Andy wrote:
thebeave7 wrote:Well, personally my rule of thumb on helmets is, "can something fall and hit me in the head?", then I need a helmet. The helmet is primarily to save you from falling objects, whether they be rocks, ice, or gear people above you drop. The way this differs from the above posts, is that even if I'm on class 2, if there is danger of something falling or bouncing down at me, I usually have the helmet.
Eric

I agree with Eric. The question is not "How hard is the climb?", the questions is "Will stuff fall on my head?" or to a lesser extent: "Will I bonk my head on something?"


It's not the difficulty of the climb that commands the use of a helmet but the chances something will "fall" and hit me in the head. Those chances are greater on Class 2+ and higher climbs.

Posts: 830
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:19 am
Location: CO

Postby grizz » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:37 pm

thebeave7 wrote:
Well, personally my rule of thumb on helmets is, "can something fall and hit me in the head?", then I need a helmet. The helmet is primarily to save you from falling objects, whether they be rocks, ice, or gear people above you drop. The way this differs from the above posts, is that even if I'm on class 2, if there is danger of something falling or bouncing down at me, I usually have the helmet.
Eric

I agree with Eric. The question is not "How hard is the climb?", the questions is "Will stuff fall on my head?" or to a lesser extent: "Will I bonk my head on something?"


Your right it's not "how hard is the climb" that determines if you wear a helmet or not. A tree limb could fall on your head when your walking in the city park or on a flat wooded trail.

My rule of thumb is when I get hit in the head I put on my helmet right away :lol:

It's like a jock and cup for sports. If you're playing a full on game of football you should wear a cup. If your playing a little catch, you could get hit in the ----- but it's not likely.
Colorado Native

User avatar
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:38 pm

Postby luv2hikejulie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:49 pm

This may be a stupid question :shock: but can my snowboard helmet double as a climbing helmet or is it best to buy a seperate helmet? Sorry for the newb question I've never used a helmet but have been thinking about the question.

Posts: 830
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:19 am
Location: CO

Postby grizz » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:42 pm

This may be a stupid question but can my snowboard helmet double as a climbing helmet or is it best to buy a seperate helmet? Sorry for the newb question I've never used a helmet but have been thinking about the question.



No. Helmets don't typically double for different sports/activities. Helmets are designed for what kind and how much impact it will incounter. Some helmets can double between similar sports/activities. Something is better than nothing though. Look at the differance between motorcycle helmets, bicycle helmets, skateboard helmets, snowboard helmets, rock climbing helmets, there're all a bit different.
Colorado Native

User avatar
Posts: 1976
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: People's Republic of Boulder

Postby thebeave7 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:09 pm

grizz wrote:
This may be a stupid question but can my snowboard helmet double as a climbing helmet or is it best to buy a seperate helmet? Sorry for the newb question I've never used a helmet but have been thinking about the question.



No. Helmets don't typically double for different sports/activities. Helmets are designed for what kind and how much impact it will incounter. Some helmets can double between similar sports/activities. Something is better than nothing though. Look at the differance between motorcycle helmets, bicycle helmets, skateboard helmets, snowboard helmets, rock climbing helmets, there're all a bit different.




Actually, I am going to disagree with that statement. Your snowboard helmet would actually offer more protection than many of the foam based climbing helmets. But, would you want to wear your snowboard helmet while climbing rock in the summer, I'd be inclined to say no. It would be so hot as to be very uncomfortable, it's designed for maximum coverage and insulation.

Here is a general statement, that can freely be attacked, but many helmets can server double duty. Though you must weigh the advantages/disadvantages of doing so. Example, I've seen people use bike helmets for climbing, while they are better than nothing, they offer little protection to the sides of your dome and are designed more for a single major impact on top. Yet another example, I ski in my mountaineering helmet on occasion, breathability is great for climbing, but it doesn't offer the same amount of impact protection as my ski helmet. So you have to think about what the helmet was initially designed for, and decide what you are sacrificing using it for double duty.

Eric

User avatar
Posts: 1803
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:07 pm
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Postby Andy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:56 pm

gdthomas wrote:
Andy wrote:
thebeave7 wrote:Well, personally my rule of thumb on helmets is, "can something fall and hit me in the head?", then I need a helmet. The helmet is primarily to save you from falling objects, whether they be rocks, ice, or gear people above you drop. The way this differs from the above posts, is that even if I'm on class 2, if there is danger of something falling or bouncing down at me, I usually have the helmet.
Eric

I agree with Eric. The question is not "How hard is the climb?", the questions is "Will stuff fall on my head?" or to a lesser extent: "Will I bonk my head on something?"


It's not the difficulty of the climb that commands the use of a helmet but the chances something will "fall" and hit me in the head. Those chances are greater on Class 2+ and higher climbs.

Ahhh... how sweet... we agree... now where's that hugging emoticon?
ImageImage
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests