Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Newcomers questions

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby jwproulx » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:43 pm

Car break-ins are pretty rare at trailheads; they are somewhat more common at rock-climbing areas. Not something I ever really worry about other than by locking my car.

You shouldn't have any trouble with snow by then on the peaks you mentioned. They tend to be pretty dry. Harvard might be the exception if you do the standard route via the Horn Fork Basin, but unless the weather in the next month is unusual, there probably won't be enough to merit any snow gear.

Postby swm88er » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:25 pm

As far as snow conditions, I think its safe to say that Pikes, Evans, and Bierstadt will be snow free...at least by the standard routes. As for the others I'm not sure, but I don't think extra equipment will be required.

You might be able to find some snow climbs too, if that is what your looking for... the Y couloir on Pikes looks full and might be climb-able in late June.

Good Luck and have fun :D
"The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." --Matthew 26:41

Postby JayMiller » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:23 pm

With the speed of the melt, the snow should be almost gone very shorty. Cruiser and I climbed Evans by way of Gaunella Pass on Sunday morning. (Trip report to follow) The thunder and lighting started rolling in just as we summited. We chose to ride down to Idaho Springs in lieu of climbing down in a storm. We wound up leaving a car at the parking area at the top of guanella pass and going back for it today. (We did notify the ranger district that we weren't lost in the mountains) I was shocked by the melt in just 1 1/2 days. Sunday morning, when we crossed the stream and hiked around the shoulder to reach the south gully, we snowshoes all of the way. This evening when we got up to get the car, the slope above the willows was less that half covered. The gully, which was complety snow covered on Sunday, had large patchs of bare rock. I would estmate the willows lost over 6" of cover the the day and a half.
My Philosophy on Life: If you wake up alive and well ... Shut the heck up.