Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Out of Towners

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Out of Towners

Postby mtn_hikin » Thu May 31, 2007 1:00 pm

Does anyone have a suggestion on a peak to take a guest from just about sea level on? He is an experienced backpacker and want to climb a 14er for his 30th birthday. I have done Grays and will have done Sherman by the time he comes out. I would like to get a new one at the same time but am not sure which ones might be challenging but not too difficult for someone from a much lower elevation.

Postby Hunter » Thu May 31, 2007 1:12 pm

Go to: Home -> 14ers -> 14er Routes (Grouped by Difficulty, Sorted by Elevation).
Any of those should be fine.
Have him work on his cardio now if he hasn't already started.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Postby Jim Davies » Thu May 31, 2007 1:16 pm

It makes a difference whether it's soon, or later this summer. There's a lot of snow right now... Also Guanella Pass isn't open from the north. I'd suggest Quandary, and take gaiters and maybe snowshoes if you've got them.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Rigel » Thu May 31, 2007 2:36 pm

I second the vote for Bierstadt (assuming the road is open). It was my first 14er hike and I was greatful to be able to take my time to catch my breath (I live in the Dallas area) and still make the summit before noon. The trail is well-marked, and the bouldering at the top makes the summit push interesting without ever feeling dangerous.

Postby jhaas » Thu May 31, 2007 2:44 pm

I don't know when you're planning on doing this or where you want to go climb, but if possible I would try Handies,a short trek, with a unbelievable view at the top. Huron with the Three Apostles and Ice Mountain as a backdrop would be a good one also.

Postby mtn_hikin » Thu May 31, 2007 3:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, it's not until July but I think Bierstadt sounds like a good one based on the reccomendation from somone from a much lower area.

Postby Hunter » Thu May 31, 2007 3:33 pm

You'll be fine in July. If you plan to hit the TH before light watch your odo. The parking area can be easily missed.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Postby Joe32 » Thu May 31, 2007 4:09 pm

My vote would be for Bierstadt too, I had a friend come in from Indiana and we hiked a day before in Boulder to get him ready and did Bierstadt on his 30th birthday.
Don't know how far the road is open but we did it in April when the road was closed way back and it took everything he had but he made.

Postby elkheart22 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:06 am

I would also vote Bierstadt, My son came over from London, we
summited Bierstadt, the only problems he encountered was the
postholing going back through the willows.
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett

Postby Two Headed Boy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:14 am

Just remember, cardio is over rated.

Being able to deal with insane discomfort and push through it is every bit as important if not more.

Postby AlexMack » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:28 am

I agree. A dedicated and driven hiker is more likely to summit than a fit hiker that doesn't have the drive to make it to the summit. I probably skinned Quandary 5 times to the last step and skied down from that point before I actually summited it. Was I exhausted? No, I felt like skiing more than I wanted the summit. "I'll come back and summit next time."

I would encourage Bierstadt as well for a newbie. Straightforward hike, AWESOME view from there too (I really like the mix of huge peaks and huge valleys). When my roomate moved here after college graduation that was the hike I took him on and he loved it.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin

Postby mtn_hikin » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:53 pm

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:14 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just remember, cardio is over rated.

Being able to deal with insane discomfort and push through it is every bit as important if not more.

Luckily he is married so that shouldnt be a problem....lol

Next