Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Peaks near Platoro

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Peaks near Platoro

Postby Ineedaltitude » Wed May 30, 2007 9:47 pm

Does anyone know a good 13er in the San Juans near Platoro or Summitville? We're camping in the area this summer. We plan to do a 14er near the end of our trip in a different area, but would like to do some "warm ups" in the Platoro area. Years ago I reached a peak, above treeline, near Summitville, but it was not by trail and I do not know the name of the peak, if it even has one. Now we're looking for something I can "map out" and use a trail, rather than make it up as I go, and leave bread crumbs behind. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks.

Postby Layne Bracy » Thu May 31, 2007 5:01 am

Here is a report with link to photos:

Conejos/Summit/Bennett

Bennett is the least scenic of the three, Summit the most scenic. As you probably know, you need a good map showing forest roads to get around in this area!

Postby Alan Ellis » Thu May 31, 2007 7:18 am

Conejos Peak near Platoro is a nice day hike and perfect for kids. Not much of a challenge though, but very scenic.

Our trip report: http://www.jackieandalan.com/conejospeak.html
Sack up and climb.

Postby Brent D » Thu May 31, 2007 11:11 am

I can't add too much good info about peak climbs, at least not better than Layne and Alan, but can at least tell you about a great day hike/backpack in the area if you had the time. It's called Crater Lake, and it's just a bit north of Summit Peak, and little northwest of Montezuma Peak.

Crater Lake Topozone

Driving down Park Creek County Road (CR380) you go right at the split of 380 and CR 330, which goes to Summitville. Continuing on CR380, you will come to one of my absolute favorite areas! Schinzel Flats is a gorgeous open area with unique looking peaks around it. A couple of my favorite camp spots are in this section. Keep going a bit further, past the Elwood Pass signage, and you will come to the trail head for Crater Lake. This is an excellent day hike or even overnight backpack, up and over the Continental Divide, and down into one of the prettiest lakes I’ve seen in Colorado. OK, so maybe I’m biased a little since this is where I got engaged eight years ago! Here are a few pics:

Crater Lake. I believe that is Montezuma Peak on the left in the background.

Another Crater Lake image

A shot from the top of the Divide:
Crater Lake trail
Crater Lake sits below the jagged peaks dead center in the distance, and behind Peak 12866'

Approaching the top of the Divide, looking at Montezuma Peak and Peak 12866'
Crater Lake trail 2

Have fun!

Postby gc » Thu May 31, 2007 12:11 pm

Pretty area. What month were those photos taken?

Postby Brent D » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:09 am

gc wrote:Pretty area. What month were those photos taken?

GC, Yeah, it's an incredible place or sure. Not as ruggedly beautiful as some other areas, but pretty cool!. Those were all taken the first week of July.