Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Somewhat new and dog friendly 14ers...

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Somewhat new and dog friendly 14ers...

Postby vikingquest7 » Wed May 30, 2007 4:49 pm

Hi all,

I've been on the site for awhile but this is my first post. I'm planning on hiking Shavano this Sunday and I was curious if the ascent is dog friendly. Which leads to the bigger question of which 14ers are dog friendly. I assume that the higher class 14ers are not. Any other rules/regulations I may need to know regarding bringing dogs with.

Thanks everyone,

VikingQuest7

Postby gitsumpottery » Wed May 30, 2007 4:55 pm

Depends on your dog.

A recent thread, "Live Dog in Dead Dog" shows a Jack Russel with only 6 more 14ers to go...

The easier hikes, ones rated at Class 1 or 2 would be a safe bet for any dog. Then you can see how they do.

Zac

Postby 14ers4me » Wed May 30, 2007 4:59 pm

If i remember right, somone on here had said that their dog was only shy one fourteener, maybe two. A lot of it depends on what kind of dog you have but you may be surprised at how much they can do.
Colorado-The only place beautiful enough to call home

Postby Two Headed Boy » Wed May 30, 2007 5:00 pm

I second gitsumpottery.

I cannot take my dog on 4th class stuff because he is crazy. 3rd class he has done safely but I worry to much above that.

Postby mtn_hikin » Thu May 31, 2007 11:38 am

There is a book called Canine Colorado that breaks down the 14ers into categories for being dog friendly. I agree that it depends on the dog though.

Postby Merlin6803 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:14 pm

99% depends on the dog, and 1% on the mountain. It can go either way, you may be surprised that nothing really stops your dog, or you may find that altitude is something that you dog just can't deal with. Learn more about altitude sickness in dogs, and some canine first aid. MAKE SURE THEY DRINK WATER. I have been taking my dog on 12ers, and now he has been up a few 13ers, and has been fine. In fact he was alright at 13,7 after hiking nearly 11 miles while carrying a 4.5 pound pack. The thing is just learning their limitations, and knowing that they arn't always going to make their limitation be known. Dogs will push farther than they should, and that can get you both in a bad situation!!

I would say MOST dogs SHOULD be ok, but you have to keep an eye on them.

Also, be forewarned that dogs on 14ers is a VERY touchy subject on this forum.

Postby telekelley » Thu May 31, 2007 12:39 pm

My two weimaraners, and their friend a Vizsla, just did Shavano on Monday (Memorial Day). They were all fine (with the exception of some altitude-induced gas...be forewarned). The Vizsla has done about 6 14ers from memory. Just make sure your dog is fit and drinks plenty of water.

Postby colorado yooper » Thu May 31, 2007 12:40 pm

We sacrificed Sherman to training our new pooch last weekend. We had three dogs, a White German Shepard/Malamute, Australian Shepard, and a Chiuawa/Dachhound mix. It was short, sweet, and the dogs had plenty of snow to eat. MW
To the High Crags!

Postby Iguru » Thu May 31, 2007 12:55 pm

Strangely enough, my first post was on a dogs on 14ers thread too. I didn't start it however, just replied.
Although I wouldn't take my dog with on a 14er (because she is a critter chaser, and I wouldn't want to leash her, :wink: ) I personally love dogs, and don't mind at all seeing friendly dogs enjoying a 14er. I have, however, seen dogs on mountain hikes that look like they are not having a particularly good time. They are the dogs best left at home IMO.
Just make sure your dog is having a good time (not getting too thirsty or tired out), and go for it.
I gotta get me an Avatar.

Postby thatguy » Thu May 31, 2007 2:11 pm

Saw a few dogs on the accent to Shavano last weekend. Depending on the route you take to the summit it may posthole here and there, but for the most part I think it would be doable. Personally, our dogs have summitted 13 of them, all the so called easier ones. I wouldn't just assume a class 2 would be ok though, depending on the size of the dog, and the quality of the trail. For example, we had to scrap a summit attempt on Princeton because the constant rock hopping for our beagle sized dogs wore them out. Like previous posts suggest, bring lots of water. Decent water sources after tree line can be hard to find sometimes. I also pack the paw booties and gauze in case of a cut foot pad, which really came in handy when that happened to one of ours on San Luis.

dave

Postby Inky6900 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:39 pm

I'm one of the people that has a dog that is close to finishing. With my dog at 70 pounds I don't have the luxury of lifting or hoisting him like the guy with the Jack Russell so he pretty much he has to make it on his own when we climb.

Consider these aspects of your dog before climbing...

1. Age & fitness level
2. Agility and balance
3. Fear Factor (This is major because it can affect you or other climbers)
4. Experience
5. Paw Protection (Booties)
6. Water & Food

I would say any dog is capable if the above factors are good. Class 1 and 2 trails are good starts for any newbie. Have fun out there! Dogs love that stuff!!!
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

Postby cheeseburglar » Thu May 31, 2007 2:46 pm

My blue heeler easily made it up three last summer. The only problem she had was when she vomited at about 13000 feet on Handies after chasing a marmot at full speed for about a 1,000 yards and back.
You do have to be a little careful, I have heard there are some hefty fines if wilderness rangers think your dog is harrassing wildlife. Some 14'ers are in wilderness areas where leash laws are in effect. I have been warned, but not ticketed (yet).

Next