Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Howdy, and a Trekking Pole Question

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby Spam » Tue May 29, 2007 8:12 pm

You will notice a difference with the poles. I broke my leg a couple of years ago and started 14ers again this last summer. Used poles for the first time and really liked them. great on the down climb. I am still a bit confused on what to do with them when boldering etc. I also had to get into a rhythm with them also to get used to them. I found an off brand on ebay that are slightly heavier than I probably want now, however, was not willing to spend a sh*#load of money for something I may or may not use. Now I have to use them till they are unusable (wife law, same reason I can't buy new skis). I personally have seen no difference so far in the shock absorber, however, I am a realtive neophyte in the trekking pole department. I think a lot has to do with how people treat them on the trail also. The same with skiing. I know people who just beat the sh*# out of their ski poles and others don't. This is definately one of those things that just depends on you when you use them.

Here are two previous posts about the same topic that may help you!

http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2908
http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2050
"Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory." -- Ed Viesturs

Postby Hunter » Wed May 30, 2007 7:35 am

I'm very pleased with the strength of my BD Spire Ellipticals. The shape provides more pulling/pushing regitity and the flip lock/pin locks are quick and secure.
I recommend one with a longer grip so you can choke up on it for steep ascents and a comfortable balled top for steep descents while choosing the $ that conforms with your budget goals.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Postby Rigel » Wed May 30, 2007 8:50 am

Great advice! Thanks for the recommendations. It looks like the $60 pair would be a decent combination of price to quality. However, I'm still open to more opinions.

Postby Cruiser » Wed May 30, 2007 9:09 am

Cheaper poles can be found at http://www.campmor.com . You can also go to Walmart or Sams and pick up the Swiss Gear ones. I'm too hard on my poles to spend more than $40 or $50 for a set.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby Ken Gross » Wed May 30, 2007 12:37 pm

I have a pair of Leki Poles that I got for BC skiing and they are great. The twist lock system is simple and reliable, i carry a spare expander in my pack but have never needed it. I think with any adjustable poles it makes sense to take them apart and clean out dirt, grime, water. I have definatly put alot of weight on these things and they have yet to let me down. I am going to get some trecking baskets for them and try them out for hiking this summer.
"Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb discussing what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision." Benjamin Franklin 1755

Postby elkheart22 » Wed May 30, 2007 1:18 pm

I'm with Zacob, I tend to go thru poles quickly,
so I just go with cheap Walmart poles,
I put them thru a very stern test yesterday,
they did just fine.....
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett

Previous