Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Question about Shavano this Sunday

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Question about Shavano this Sunday

Postby mountainlover » Fri May 25, 2007 4:05 pm

Hello,
I'm hoping to climb my first 14er of the season this Sunday with Mt. Shavano. However, I have absolutely no experience with snow nor do I have any snowshoes/crampons/ice axe for the climb. Is this climb doable right now without any of this gear? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Postby frozenfire075 » Fri May 25, 2007 8:55 pm

cetainly is, i was up there tuesday and the trail is nearly all snow free. The few sections of snow encountered below tree line were well traveled and easy to manage, however, the trail is covered by the right arm of the angel, so you will have to kickstep traverse about 30 yards of snow. from there, i ditched the main trail as it was mainly snow covered to the saddle and opted just to ascend shavano's south eastern face up the dry rock to the summit. (snow will be encountered, but with an early enough start will be solid). i would say no crampons or snowshoes are needed and i felt comfortable walking in my summer hiking shoes.

Shavano

Postby cgandy2003 » Fri May 25, 2007 9:01 pm

I live in Salida, and have been looking at Shavano all week. We got hammered with snow in the high country on Wednesday, and everything was buried Wednesday morning. It has melted some since, but when I saw Shavano tonite right before dark, it was mostly snow covered still. I was watching huge spin drifts from the valley as well today, so watch out for windloading on anything that still has a lot of snow on it. I would say hold off since you don't have any gear for snow, but thats just my opinion. Enjoy! And be safe!!!
"Mountains are cathedrals: grand and pure, the houses of my religion. I go to them as humans go to worship...From their lofty summits, I view my past, dream of the future, and with unusual acuity I am allowed to experieince the present moment. My strength renewed, my vision cleared, in the mountains I celebrate creation. On each journey I am reborn." - Anatoli Boukreev