Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Three Part Question

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Three Part Question

Postby skwid » Tue May 22, 2007 3:51 pm

1. Has anyone climbed almagre from seven bridges instead of driving to Frosty's?

2. What are the current conditions on almagre?

3. I hear that the oldest tree in colorado is either on bross or almagre, where is the tree in question on almagre???

Re: Three Part Question

Postby Jim Davies » Tue May 22, 2007 4:08 pm

skwid wrote:1. Has anyone climbed almagre from seven bridges instead of driving to Frosty's?

I climbed it via Bear Creek once, continuing through Jones Park to the big scree patch at the upper end, up to the ridge on the right side of the scree saddle, which then connects to Almagre. I guess it at about 15 miles, 5000 ft elevation.
2. What are the current conditions on almagre?

Probably getting snowier right this minute (look out the window). :) The snow line is still below 11K' right now, and you'll probably get some postholing up higher.
3. I hear that the oldest tree in colorado is either on bross or almagre, where is the tree in question on almagre???

I haven't heard that. From wikipedia:
The oldest known tree, which grows high on Mount Evans in Colorado, was found to have at 2,435-year tree ring record.

I doubt if anybody is going to tell you where the oldest tree is, since making that knowledge public would lead to vandalism. The ridge leading from Runs-Down-Fast to Almagre has bristlecones on it, for what it's worth.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby RockParkour » Tue May 22, 2007 4:17 pm

I'll be hiking Seven Bridges to Mt Garfield and Mt Arthur tomorrow morning and Almagre will be next on my training list. Can you post up the route you took afterwards?

Also, I drove up Frosty last saturday morning and the drifts stopped us at about 11k, but the parking for trail 701 was wide open.

Postby Cruiser » Tue May 22, 2007 4:28 pm

Check out this thread for info about the bristlecones:
http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3537
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby Jim Davies » Wed May 23, 2007 8:49 am

There's a big grove of bristlecones in the Devil's Armchair cirque on Mt Ouray. They're about 2 miles from the Grays Creek trailhead on the Marshall Pass road.

I checked my hiking notebook last night, and climbing Almagre via Bear Creek took me about 8 hours in May 1996. I did something similar via Seven Bridges last May without summitting, going over Runs-Down-Fast, then across to the top of the ridge going to Almagre before turning back, and it took about 7:45. I'm an average-speed hiker, but I also knew where I was going to get to the scree patch. There's a trail that goes straight to it through Jones Park, but it's not completely obvious where that trail starts; I can usually find it... If you go straight where the Seven Bridges trail forks to go over the saddle to Jones Park, it leads you to it eventually, just north of a little meadow with some old camp ruins, barrels and stuff.

The routes I'm talking about look roughly like this:
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Aspen Summit » Wed May 23, 2007 9:19 am

I remember in the mid-1990s a photographer snapped a photo of a tree at the Garden of the Gods...then selfishly cut the tree down with a chainsaw so no one will ever take that beautiful scenic pic again. I believe he's still sitting in jail. I would ban him from using a camera again.
Some people are just evil. :twisted:

To stand next to the oldest living creature, what can be more fantastic? Well, maybe on one of the Martian moons. 8)

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!

Postby skwid » Wed May 23, 2007 11:43 am

Well I'm about to start almagre, and it is hailing... see what happens...