Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2 and 3 day hike suggestions

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

2 and 3 day hike suggestions

Postby vbeaureg » Sat May 19, 2007 10:08 pm

I am reluctantly realizing that the backcountry ski season will end sooner than I think, and I need some suggestions to get psyched for the summer. I'm looking for good 2 and 3 day backpacking trips, predominately solo. For the sake of variety, I would especially like suggestions for places outside of the standard ski descent destinations.

Postby stevevets689 » Sat May 19, 2007 10:13 pm

I would definitely recommend Willow Lake in the Sangre De Cristo's. It's a bit popular but if you're sneaky you can find a more secluded campsite. From there you can summit Mt. Adams (a centennial 13er), Challanger Point, Kit Carson Peak, as well as a couple of unnammed 13ers. Plus, it's just plain beautiful! Incredible area.

Nearby there's also South Colony Lakes, with access to the Crestones, Broken Hand Peak, Crestolita, Humboldt Peak, as well as Kit Carson from a different route.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Postby gdthomas » Sat May 19, 2007 10:24 pm

vbeaureg

Whether intentional or not, you might want to update your age on your profile. As long as it says "8", you may find it difficult for people on this site to give you advice.

Postby JHopper » Sat May 19, 2007 10:29 pm

lol

Postby vbeaureg » Sat May 19, 2007 10:37 pm

gdthomas wrote:As long as it says "8"

I was a pretty hardcore eight year old, xc skiing the mountains of Maine, but you're right that I probably wasn't ready for soloing 14ers. :-)

Postby Hook Em Horns » Sat May 19, 2007 11:16 pm

I personally am looking forward to hiking up the Lake Como road this summer and setting up a base camp to do those three 14ers over a couple of days. They look like great scrambles.

Postby mtn_hikin » Thu May 31, 2007 12:47 pm

There is a great loop in the Holy Cross Wilderness that goes around Missouri lakes and over Fancy Pass.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu May 31, 2007 1:07 pm

The Goose Creek-Hankins Pass-Lake Park-McCurdy Park-Lost Creek loop in the Lost Creek wilderness is a good one. It's about 25 miles and can be readily done in 2-3 days.

The most classic Colorado loop backpack is probably the 28-mile Four Pass Loop in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass wilderness. Google "four pass loop" and you'll see a lot of info about it. If you're ambitious, you can make side trips to climb the Bells, Pyramid and Snowmass off of this trip.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby telekelley » Thu May 31, 2007 1:36 pm

Great suggestion on Lost Creek, Jim - you just beat me to the punch.

A friend just did that Lost Creek loop this weekend and loved it. I'm planning the 4-pass loop this August - been thinking about it for years. Planning to summitt Snowmass at the very least as a side trip.

I would also suggest a loop through RMNP that includes Long's Peak. You can start at Mill Creek or Sprague Lake and connect to the Long's Peak trail. Spend a night at Boulderfield and summit Long's the third morning. The 3rd night stay at Beaver Brook and then hike out to Glacier Gorge area. The shuttle system in the park makes it a great 4-day backpack.

Another good loop in RMNP is on the West side from the East or North inlet, up around Flattop mtn and back down through Big Meadow. It is about 27 miles and I did it in 2-1/2 days easily. Beautiful wildflowers in late July.

Have fun!

Postby Jim Davies » Thu May 31, 2007 2:04 pm

I might go for the 4-pass loop this summer; it just occurred to me I've been making plans for three of the 14ers on the loop, and Snowmass is a lot of hiking all by itself anyway, so why not? It's kind of cool to completely circle the Maroon Bells, also.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.