Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trails near and around Aspen for a noob?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Trails near and around Aspen for a noob?

Postby Rskillz » Fri May 18, 2007 12:08 pm

I spend my summers in Aspen and I've fallen in love with hiking. Last summer I did Castle peak and Maroon bells. I wanted to do more but didn't have time.

What would you guys recommend as the must-do hikes around Aspen? As far as beauty or even a early season hike?(Ill be in aspen the end of this month through August) Or even harder hikes that require no rock-climbing. I'm in great shape and can handle almost any hike other than technical stuff.

Thanks in advance guys!

Postby Jim Davies » Fri May 18, 2007 12:14 pm

I really liked Mt Sopris. Starts near Dinkle Lake, goes to Thomas Lakes, then up a class 1 or 2 trail along the ridge to the summit (or further to both summits). It's in a lot of trail guides.
There's some info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Sopris
The route is fairly easy to follow.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Don Eberl » Fri May 18, 2007 1:36 pm

I second that on Sopris. It is a really nice mountain and a nice hike. Be careful not to get off trail. I got on some very loose talus and felt like I could start a rock slide on any step. If you stay on trail you'll be OK
Some of it's majic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way.

Jimmy Buffett

Postby Rskillz » Fri May 18, 2007 2:27 pm

Awesome, I was always impressed with Sopris from afar when traveling to and from Glenwood. I'll def try it out.

Postby gsliva » Sat May 19, 2007 6:20 am

Bucksin Benchmark looks down on quite a lot. Go to Summitpost.org for pictures. Anything up at Independence Pass is good. The Williams Mountains are all high 13ers but nobody goes there because of the nearby proximity of the 14ers. It looks the same and there will be nobody there except me. (I gave away my secret near Aspen). Of course Snowmass Lake is a must which you probably alreay know.

There are lots of good hikes up the Frying Pan river that are stunning. Savage Lakes, Mormon Lake in late July, Frying Pan Lakes had the most flowers last summer that I have seen in 15 years. All of these don't flower out until late July.

My Thomas from Crooked Creek Pass for about 6 or 7 miles is the most beutiful around because you can see 360 degrees. There is no water however so bring lots.

I hope this helps a little.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby gsliva » Sat May 19, 2007 6:22 am

Sorry I meant Mt Thomas from Crooked Creek pass. We need a spell checker here! I'm terrible at spelling because I type too fast.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby Papillon » Tue May 22, 2007 7:33 pm

Conundrum Hot Springs

8 miles one way with 3000 feet of gain will take you to a hot tub at 11,000 feet. But it is too bad you are leaving in August. I believe the best time to hit this is in September and preferably midweek.

I went late Sept a few years back with my fraulein and we had the place to ourselves.

There is nothing like stripping at 11,000 when the temp is in the 20s and 102 degree water awaits.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby lordhelmut » Tue May 22, 2007 8:02 pm

I second the Conumdrum hot springs, as well as American and Cathedral Lake in that same general region. Conundrum hot springs is probably one of the more unique, scenic hikes in all of Colorado (arguably) and there are many other possibilites to bag some passes in the area.

My all-time favorite is the Lost Man loop right before you get to Independence Pass.

Then again, its hard to leave out the Capitol Creek trail to Capitol Lake, with Capitol Pk in the background. You can climb Capitol as well if you like, its a fun climb obviously but the surrounding area is somethin else. But thats a little further out of town, right at that conoco station near the post office off 82, on the other side of woody creek.

Postby Papillon » Tue May 22, 2007 9:02 pm

lordhelmut wrote:My all-time favorite is the Lost Man loop right before you get to Independence Pass.

I remember The Lost Man as well as American and Cathedral. In fact, I have unfinished business near Cathedral Lake (namely Electric Pass) which I plan on hitting in July.

Good beta on most hikes around Aspen can be obtained via Molvar's "Hiking Colorado's Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness" - A Falcon Guide.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs