Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

camping

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

camping

Postby bombing » Thu May 17, 2007 9:37 pm

hello, i was wondering if anyone had a guide to camping because im totally in the dark. i need to know about sleeping mainly, tents, bags, pads etc. im trying to learn what i need to know to be able to go camping this summer. thanks

Postby ascent+descent=fun » Thu May 17, 2007 9:39 pm

what do you need to know about those things? what temp bag you need? what kind of tent? are you going to be backpacking or just car camping?

Postby acwilson » Thu May 17, 2007 10:21 pm

Go to your nearest REI with those same questions, and you'll leave with your questions answered, and your wallet will be several hundred bucks lighter.
Annie

Postby Aubrey » Thu May 17, 2007 10:25 pm

acwilson wrote:Go to your nearest REI with those same questions, and you'll leave with your questions answered, and your wallet will be several hundred bucks lighter.

Lighter's good when camping. So you'll be killing two birds with one stone. Er, wait, killing birds is wrong.

Postby Aubrey » Thu May 17, 2007 10:30 pm

Here's one tip, among 1 million: Instead of having a slippery sleeping bag on top of a slippery pad, which will result in your back on rocks/ground in the middle of the night, check out this system:

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_bag_home.php

Last summer I got a lightweight/down Big Agnes sleeping bag with the big pocket for the self-inflating pad. It works great.

Postby Kojones » Thu May 17, 2007 11:41 pm

What I would suggest is heading to REI with me in tow. I'll show you the ropes when it comes to camping, what you need, what you don't, etc. Most people take too much camping the first time and leave the activity with a sour taste in their mouth. As much as you can reduce, the more fun you will have because you won't have to haul as much stuff.

Send me a PM and we'll take a trip to REI. (I prefer the Flagship store in Denver.)

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby guitmo223 » Fri May 18, 2007 12:09 am

If camping is your objective, go to Walmart, not REI. You can get a good tent, queen-size air matress w/inflator, double sleeping bags, and an assortment of fun camping things for about $200.

If you're into mountaineering... that's a different story, and you can easily spend a fortune at REI, especially if you don't know what you're looking for.

To answer your questions (assuming the former), Coleman sleeping bags, Coleman tent, Coleman inflatable matress, Coleman bug repellant, Coleman lantern, and other fun stuff they sell at Walmart.
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby Trail Doc » Fri May 18, 2007 6:54 am

I agree a trip to REI may leave you with sticker-shock, and fear may change your mind about the whole operation. However, some things are not worth skimping on, and really should be purchased at a high-end place like REI or EMS. These are: Boots, sleeping bag and backpack. From there, you can decide how you want to expand. If you've never been before, start with car camping, since it's less logistically demanding and you can even bring the kitchen sink. Once you figure out the basics, like how to poop and clean up after meals, a backpacking trip will be much more enjoyable.
If I wanted a sport with rules, I'd be playing golf.

Postby tress » Fri May 18, 2007 9:38 am

sierratradingpost.com is also a option.

Postby CorduroyCalves » Fri May 18, 2007 10:20 am

Aubrey wrote:Here's one tip, among 1 million: Instead of having a slippery sleeping bag on top of a slippery pad, which will result in your back on rocks/ground in the middle of the night, check out this system:

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_bag_home.php

Last summer I got a lightweight/down Big Agnes sleeping bag with the big pocket for the self-inflating pad. It works great.

Aubrey, are you a back sleeper? I was actually thinkiing about going that way, but I toss and turn a lot and tend to use my sleeping bag more like a blanket.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby Cruiser » Fri May 18, 2007 10:46 am

There are so many great compaines out there now that make quality camping equipment. I think the thing to do is to start with the bare essentials such as a tent, bag, and pad. Then get out and use them some. It won't take long for you to start feeling like some other things would be useful and others wouldn't. I almost always take a hammoc on backcountry camping trips, but some of my friends would never consider carrying one. We all have different things that we like to carry, and in the end it's all about finding the right balance of gear and weight for you, and the only way to do that is to get out there. I'm a recovering gear whore, but I still have 3 tents, a bivy, and 2 tarps that I use for shelter depending on the conditions...

BTW I'm with tress about http://www.sierratradingpost.com. You can also try http://www.campmor.com. Whatever you do, just get out there!
Where ever you are... There you are.