Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Standard Newbie Introduction

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Standard Newbie Introduction

Postby Hiking Mike » Tue May 15, 2007 11:35 pm

RockFarmer wrote: Other than hiking trails around the Colorado Springs area, my only other mountain hiking experience was when I was in the Boy Scouts when I went to Philmont. Those current or former Boy Scouts, if there are any on this forum, will know what I am talking about.

Yup, sure do. :) Welcome to the site.
...And my memory shall serve me in the way that memories do:
To conjure bygone times, and shine them bright anew,
To erase the strain of effort from faces of the past,
And resurrect slight triumphs as glories unsurpassed...

Postby Piker » Wed May 16, 2007 6:25 am

Welcome RockFarmer, if you ever want to hook up for a ride out to some 14er, let me know. I live in the Springs also and it is easier to commute with others rather than meeting at the TH. I have a couple planned over the holiday weekend if you are interested in joining.
Have you ever stopped to think....then forget to start again?

Postby RockFarmer » Wed May 16, 2007 7:10 pm

Hey Piker,

That sounds very tempting. It is easier to car pool, not to mention cheaper.

Which peaks do you have planned over the holiday weekend? If they are any of the 14ers, other that Pike's, I would definitely be interested.

Depending on which peaks, I would expect there to be some snow still on the ground. I have not had a lot of experience hiking in the mountains with snow. Do you expect to use such gear as crampons, snowshoes, or axe? If so, I would have to get that gear. I don't need to be spending my money right now, but I think I can make an exceptiong :)
"Gentleman! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room."
"Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
"The mountains are calling and I must go."

Postby rleclair » Wed May 16, 2007 7:24 pm

Welcome Rock Farmer - you're now one of us! Resistance is futile...

Postby rj2000 » Wed May 16, 2007 7:29 pm

Welcome. I am a newbie to the site as well, but you got a better wlecome... :roll:

See you around town!

Postby Piker » Thu May 17, 2007 9:32 am

On the 26th I am climbing Quandary as my 14er warmup with a few others that will be attempting their first 14er. From there I am driving down to Missouri Mt. to hook up with Aspen Summit and climb that on the 27th. I have a Barr Trail overnighter planned in June if you want, my wife wants to do that for her birthday. If you do any mountian biking, I ride almost every day, probably put about 150 to 200 miles a week.

Postby RockFarmer » Thu May 17, 2007 10:12 am

I would like to go ahead and try to climb both of those if you don't mind. I'm sort of glad to hear that others will be attempting their first 14er, so I might not be the only one slowing you down. :) Two 14ers in two days is ambitious for me, but I will give it a try.

Do you expect to be using any special gear, i.e. crampons, snowshoes, ice axe? (You've probably done more research on these peaks than me.) Do you plan on camping or moteling it? Are you planning on packing in all your food and water, or maybe stopping at some places to eat? PM or post with more of your logistical plans, so that I can prepare. Thanks.

Postby RockFarmer » Thu May 17, 2007 10:16 am

Oh yea. I think I will pass on the Barr Trail overnighter. It might conflict with some previous engagements, and I personally have had enough of that trail to suit me for awhile. :)

Greetings RockFarmer!

Postby Spirit Guide » Thu May 17, 2007 10:39 am

I was just curious about your name, are you a geologist or mineralogist or of the likes?
AHOY! AHOY! I'm captain of my ship!

Postby Piker » Thu May 17, 2007 10:48 am

I will be packing some food with me for both hikes but I will be stopping for a good meal that night to make sure my body is well nurished for the next day. I dont expect to need anything special for both hikes but I am bringing some snow shoes along just in case. I can understand about how you feel on Barr trail, that place gets packed on the weekends, but for the most part, it clears out after the 4 mile marker. We are leaving the TH in the late afternoon early evening to avoid most of it and we might try to summit before sunrise, it all depends on how my wife wants to do it. Her birthday, her rules.

Postby RockFarmer » Thu May 17, 2007 5:28 pm

What's in a name?

No, I'm not any kind of geologist or mineralogist, although it does kind of sound like that.

I picked that name because it was the first thing that popped into my head. I'm originally from Iowa, and when I first moved out here it seemed like everyone would ask if I had lived on a farm. So I guess I've fallen into that same mind set.

Piker,
Do you plan on camping somewhere the night of the 26th? That Barr hike sounds tempting, but I think I just might be too busy this June. What days were you going to do it?

Postby Piker » Thu May 17, 2007 8:36 pm

On the night of the 26th will be either staying in my vehicle or finding a campsite near the Missouri TH. As for Barr trail, we are leaving the afternoon/evening of June 15th. We are trying to decide whether or not we want to summit for the sunrise or not.

PreviousNext