Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Standard Newbie Introduction

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Standard Newbie Introduction

Postby RockFarmer » Tue May 15, 2007 7:00 pm

RF – “Hi, my name is RockFarmer…”
14ers.com – “Hi RockFarmer”
RF – “…and I have a problem. I’m addicted to hiking.”

This is HA (Hikers Anonymous), right?

I am excited about joining this forum and contributing what knowledge I have. I am also excited about the hiking opportunities this may provide me. My big goal is to eventually summit all 14ers in the state of Colorado as well as discover the beautiful scenery this state has to offer. I have been lurking around 14ers.com for about the last week or so and I just couldn’t pass it up.

I have lived in Colorado for almost two years now, and the only 14er I have summated is Pike’s Peak (I took the Barr trail up and down one day last year). I plan to write up a TR for that later. Other than hiking trails around the Colorado Springs area, my only other mountain hiking experience was when I was in the Boy Scouts when I went to Philmont. Those current or former Boy Scouts, if there are any on this forum, will know what I am talking about.

I may be more of a lurker on the forums than a contributor to begin with since I don’t have all that much experience. But I hope that changes and I hope that I will soon be hooking up with other hikers to start summiting more 14ers.
"Gentleman! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room."

"Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."

Postby Spam » Tue May 15, 2007 7:02 pm

(in true hikers anonymous fashion)

"Hello Rock Farmer"

Erin Go Brach
"Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory." -- Ed Viesturs

Postby 14ers4me » Tue May 15, 2007 7:04 pm

RockFarmer, welcome! We are glad to have you. If you have been lurking for a week or so you know how big of an extended family we really are to each other. If not, read the David Worthington threads and you will grasp it. Again welcome and i hope to run into you one day on the trail!
Colorado-The only place beautiful enough to call home

Postby RockFarmer » Tue May 15, 2007 7:17 pm

Yes, unfortunately I did happen upon the site at a tragic time. And I did see how much heart and comradery everyone had. It is, like you say 14ers4me, an extended family. It's one of the attractions that lead me to join the forum.

Postby 14ers4me » Tue May 15, 2007 7:20 pm

Well i am glad we roped you in, even if it was during a tragedy. Your services will be much appreciated! Happy Trails!
Colorado-The only place beautiful enough to call home

Postby ajkagy » Tue May 15, 2007 7:51 pm

welcome!! :D

Postby JHopper » Tue May 15, 2007 7:54 pm

welcome :D

Postby Van McDaniel » Tue May 15, 2007 9:28 pm

Welcome aboard Rock Farmer. I hope that you have a keen sense of humor and a fairly thick skin. I got addicted to mountaineering about 25 years ago and I never looked back. I am very much at ease with my choice of madness. It has cost me a lot of money in lost monetary success and I have worn out some good 4x4's driving to the trailhead and over the pass roads. Some of the few friends that I had that do not climb think that I am crazy and have abandoned me long ago. Some of the fat-ass bosses that I have had were jealous of me weighing 80-100 lbs less than them. I guess that they resented my gunslingers hips and the fact that I can see my belt buckle when I stand up. If I were to start all over again I would not do anything different except I would have started climbing 10 years before I did. My lovely wife of almost 35 years has hung in there with me but she also thinks that I am nuts. I have been lucky in mountaineering and lucky in love. I have been blessed. I have found my happy place.
Eat Dessert First!

Postby JasonF » Tue May 15, 2007 9:47 pm

Welcome to the family RF! Philmont is my primary reason for moving out here several years ago (it only took me 15 years to make the move since scouting days :) ). I believe you'll find that the 14ers are just as exciting as climbing Baldy Mountain for the first time. Happy hiking!!
solvitur ambulando - it has been solved
"From the rising of the sun to the going down of the same, the name of the Lord shall be praised." Ps. 113:3
"For the things which are seen are temporary but the things which are not seen are eternal." 2Cor 4:18

Postby Aubrey » Tue May 15, 2007 9:59 pm

Welcome. Now you can never leave. Not because we won't let you. You won't be able to.

Postby ascent+descent=fun » Tue May 15, 2007 10:46 pm

and we wont let you

Postby RockFarmer » Tue May 15, 2007 10:56 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I am already addicted. I'm staying up much later than I should writing a trip report about a hike I did a year ago.

I will enjoy this forum because I do have a sense of humor as well as some very thick skin.

Mount Baldy was a rush for me JasonF. I knew I would always like hiking and that certainly helped to influence the choice I made coming out here.

Next