Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hiking with a dog

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Tue May 15, 2007 8:42 am

#2 Jeter... English/American Lab

The Ed Viesturs of pooches... :P

12 fourteeners already and he hasnt even reached three years old.. Loves to scramble and he is good at it...

On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby Inky6900 » Tue May 15, 2007 9:03 am

My dog sawyer is a Golden Retriever. He does use the booties all the time and he's climbed 49 of 14ers so far. Two others (Little Bear and Mount Wilson) we didn't have good weather and had to turn back less than 100 feet from the summits. We'll try those again this year.

If you're going in a few weeks, snow will still be an issue and you'll want to be careful. Dogs can slip too. Class 1 would be your best choice at this time of year. Be safe and bring plenty of water for you and your dog. Food too. Collapsable bowls are great since you can put them in your pocket. Have fun!

For the question about the booties, I did have to break Soy in on them. He didn't like them at first and it was something I had to get him used to while at home. We did short walks in the neighborhood and within 20 minutes he was already doing well. Now when his shoes come out of the closet he's hopping all around...he knows we're going to go hiking!

If you place the booties directly on the dog's paws they tend to spin and come off quite easily. I like to wrap all of Sawyer's wrists/ankles with gauze and then put a wrap of athletic tape on the top of that. Then you can put the shoe on and really tighten it up without cutting of their circulation...and the shoes don't spin because the athletic tape is tacky. Just something I've picked up on climbing with my dog for more than 6 years.

Again, have fun and good luck! Your dog will love it!!!

Previous