Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Quandry or Grays accessibility?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Quandry or Grays accessibility?

Postby mark mcgee » Sun May 13, 2007 10:20 am

I hike a lot in the mountains above Boulder. I climbed Mt. Quandry last summer. I'm very fit but I have very little experience with 14er or 13er climbs. I'll be in Summit County on May 15 and would like to climb Quandry or Grays. Are these climbs accessible at this time of year? Are they still covered with snow? I'm looking for a 14er or 13er that I could get up/down in 6 hours +/-. Ideally, I could hike the mountain without any snow gear. What type of clothing/equipment will I need to undertake a climb this week. I would appreciate hearing from someone who knows the conditions of the mountains. Thanks.

Postby ascent+descent=fun » Sun May 13, 2007 12:27 pm

I climbed quandary last week and the trail was snowpacked the entire way, I didnt have any flotation or crampons ans was fine, just get an early start and post holing will be less of a problem. If you are in good shape you should have no problem doing it in <6 hours.

Quandary Conditions

Postby cbell94 » Sun May 13, 2007 12:39 pm

Climbed Quandary on Friday. There is still snow on the entire trail as well as CR 851. I was able to boot it all the way to the summit, but on the descent the snow was very soft and I was postholing with snowshoes on. I hiked with someone that had no snowshoes and she made it but she was not happy on the descent.

If you get started early before the snow gets soft you could probably go up and down without snowshoes in less than six hours.

Postby Aspen Summit » Sun May 13, 2007 1:21 pm

Mark, one of the most important and useful gears I wear when I'm out hiking/climbing in snow condition is ski/snowboarding pants. Cool, comfy, and water proof.

I also have the MSR snowshoes and although they're nice, I totally HATE the binding. It comes out too easily so you've to constantly check on them :evil: I'm about to grab some plastic strings and re-design it myself this summer.

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!

Postby cpittman » Sun May 13, 2007 7:24 pm

My wife and I climbed Quandary today, 5/13, along with the 30+ other people on the mountain. If you plan on climbing it on 5/15 definitely start hiking early.

We started hiking today @ 7:15am, which was about 1 hour too late. The hike up was uneventful because the snow was still firm and hadn't turned to mush. However, on the descent, the last 45 minutes was torturous with lots of postholing (even when using snowshoes).

My recommendation is to start early! Also watch the weather. A T-Storm rolled in as we got back to the car @ 11:30am.

Postby Hunter » Mon May 14, 2007 6:14 am

I drove up a week ago and it appeared as though the road was not plowed yet. Can anyone confirm? It looked like 3-4' of snow on the road.
-Thanks
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Postby cbell94 » Mon May 14, 2007 7:45 am

yeah that is right. 850 is plowed but 851 is not plowed. However, the walk up 851 to the trailhead is less than a quarter mile. I actually jumped out of the car and did the walk there and back in the flip-flops I was driving in. You can just park at the turn to 851 and add three or four football fields to the hike.

have fun.

Postby luv2hikejulie » Mon May 14, 2007 8:24 am

Myself and friends were some of the 30+ people on Quandry on the 13th. I agree with previous posts, be sure to get an early start.

Postby zacob » Mon May 14, 2007 10:04 am

I haven't been up there rescently but based on the post about the conditions on Quandary. the Grays Trail head will not accessible short of hiking. which will add depending on where the snow closure still is 2-6 miles on to the round trip to climb Grays so follow everyones advice and Start early and Climb Quandry