Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Coming to Colorado the first weekend in June

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Coming to Colorado the first weekend in June

Postby bigcurveman » Thu May 10, 2007 8:31 pm

Hello, I have been reading this forum since last summer and I finally decided to participate. I came out from Michigan last summer and did Grays Peak and it was one of the greatest days of my life. I am really looking to move out there in the next year or sooner. I am coming out for a visit the first weekend in June and am definitely doing one 14er and I would like some advice on what will be mostly clear of snow at that point. We are looking for a class 1 or 2 hike and have been looking at Elbert, Lincoln, Bross, Democrat, Quandary, and Huron to name a few. It's looking like around Breckenridge in the Tenmile or Mosquito ranges is where we might end up. So my first question is will the snow be melted enough that boots will be sufficient? I am also in need of a daypack, I went to REI and looked at a bunch, but I was wondering what everybody would say. I already have a 100 ounce bladder, so I just want a regular pack. I guess that is enough for now. I love reading this board, thanks for all the great info and stories.
Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'

Postby zacob » Thu May 10, 2007 9:05 pm

Quandary will be your best bet of those you listed. By early june if you have water proof boots and gaiters you will most likely be okay.

as to the pack find something that fits best, and it all depends on what you plan to do I have 6 or 7 packs from 1000cc up to 6500cc. If you are starting out I would determine your goals and buys something according to those.

Postby gdthomas » Thu May 10, 2007 10:28 pm

Lincoln, Democrat and Bross are "off limits" for the time being. Private property issues impacting those peaks won't be resolved by the time you get out here so that narrows your list to Quandry, Elbert and/or Huron. In addition to Quandry, Elbert from the south would be a good choice. Bierstadt and Sherman might suit your needs as well.

As for daypacks, you'll get varying opinions on this site. You should figure out how much clothing, equipment, food and water you expect to carry on a day hike/climb then buy a pack accordingly. I use a 2,500 cu. in. day pack to carry what I need to stay on the mountain overnight in case I get lost or injured. Others are minimalists and use 1000 cu. in. (or less) packs.

Postby Hunter » Tue May 15, 2007 12:57 pm

Be aware- you'll be wearing this for 4-12 hours depending on your jaunt. Make sure it's comfortable. I prefer internal frames.

For a good starter pack I would recommend the Osprey Atmos 35 with 2100 CI of space. It gives you the choice of putting the bladder inside or between the pack and the webbing for more space for your gear. The web mesh keeps the pack off your back increasing breathability. Over all I'm very happy with this pack. Now that I'm gearing up for the rest of the 14ers I will lay out the Roubles for something more cutting edge with my dividend check next year.

Lastly, don't forget to assess your total packed weight- the packs should have their listed max carrying weight.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."