Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New to the 14ers, from Frace

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

New to the 14ers, from Frace

Postby xmOOse » Tue May 08, 2007 6:50 am

Hello,
I am just new member and want to say hello from Grenoble (French Alpes) where i live.

I am looking for information about backcountry skiing in Colorado. I will be in Denver for the beginning of June (1 to 5) and I wonder if it could be possible to bring my skis and have a first experience in one of your 14ers summits?

Does the snow condition still ok for skiing at this period in this region? What Summit can I reach easily from Denver by car and climb by ski in one day?
I can have technical route with 40- 45 degrees slope and quite long with more than 6.000 feet elevation...
As I have any knowledge of your mountains conditions, I am open to every comment and recommandation you might give me.
If you have route guide, and other map information to recommande, i will appreciate very much.
Obviously if you are interested to go up with me for this exit of ski, I am pleased to share this experiment. Waiting to read you...

xmOOse

Postby Jcwhite » Tue May 08, 2007 8:40 am

You should be able to find skiable lines still at the beginning of June. Perhaps Huron will still hold snow, and I'm sure there are others, but it really just depends on what happens snow wise between now and then. Hopefully it doesnt get too hot.
Jordan
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby ccunnin » Tue May 08, 2007 10:43 am

Welcome.
Looking forward to learning from your added experiences.
Great to have you on here.
He who controls the spice, controls the universe.

Huron look very nice

Postby xmOOse » Wed May 09, 2007 9:18 am

Thank you for your comments,

Huron looks very nice ...
I hope snow conditions will be ok to ski the East face or NE couloir...

I will contact you around the 20 of May to get information about snow conditions.

I am very surprise to see how your 14ers summits are different to the one in the Alpes. Here all summits in this elevation range have glaciers and a lot of snow until the beginning of July...

This winter was very poor in snow, but at the beginning of May, we still have backcountry skiing departure around 6.500ft...

xmOOse Thanks again