Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

NOOB!!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby KeithK » Thu May 10, 2007 8:27 am

MOOSE DROOL wrote:Native Kansan. I'm a flatlander. Last name is Pennington, so the folks in S. Dakota must be fans of mine. Discovered Moose Drool while in MT last summer. Nectar of the Gods. Funny name, makes one laugh. Great beer!!!

I almost thought I was the only one with Moose Drool in the fridge. I discovered it on a Yellowstone vacation a few years ago, and it is definitely my kind of beer!
Snow is dumb.™

Postby JoeyJ » Thu May 10, 2007 9:46 am

Eye doc:

The best hike I've done in KS was Elk City lake, just west of Independence. 20 mile hike along the lakeside country and very relaxing. some really neat rock formations on the south end I think, a few miles in. Kinda like a rock maze with 10-20 ft walls that makes you feel like a mouse looking for the cheez at the end :) , and some really nice views when you see the lake from a cliff walking along a shelf next to the shore.

prob 2 hrs or so from KC, and a little over an hr from Wichita-

Postby Lhotse » Thu May 10, 2007 9:55 am

Good to see some Kansans on here. I grew up and spent 18 years in Hutchinson, 1 year in Manhattan (K-State), and since moved to Ft Collins. Love it here and NEVER going back. Well, I go back to visit the family once or twice a year.
"Tommorrow Is Promised to No One" ..Walter Payton...Brian Rush

Postby Kate » Thu May 10, 2007 12:07 pm

Lhotse wrote:Love it here and NEVER going back. Well, I go back to visit the family once or twice a year.

I know, huh? I will soon be graduating college and people ask (like there's really any option) if I'm going back to Kansas. I try not to laugh and politely say "I'm much more partial to Colorado."

Being far away on holidays and special occassions kind of stinks... but then again, that's something a short plane ride can fix.

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Thu May 10, 2007 5:43 pm

I have spent tons of time in RMNP over the years.Actually biked Trail Ridge Road in '92. Been to the Keyhole on Long's, years ago. Made an attempt at the summit in '05, altitude sickness and less than ideal conditioning got me. Much better shape this time around, and not such extreme peaks on the agenda. I WILL get my first ( hopefully at least first 3 ) this summer. Right Cornfed?
"There are only 3 sports, motor racing, bullfighting and mountaineering; the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Thu May 10, 2007 5:54 pm

I almost thought I was the only one with Moose Drool in the fridge. I discovered it on a Yellowstone vacation a few years ago, and it is definitely my kind of beer!

Like it??? LOVE IT!!! Sadly, you can't get it here in KS. Quite the fan, check this out....

"There are only 3 sports, motor racing, bullfighting and mountaineering; the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

Postby Aspen Summit » Thu May 10, 2007 8:26 pm

Welcome to the 14er Community Moose Drool! Hahaha!!! :lol: We climb till there's nothing left but the sky! Wooo Hooooooooooooo!!! So a hearty welcom to the real Big Sky Country!! 8)

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!

Postby KUfiredancer » Wed May 16, 2007 2:17 pm

another kansan here. i am from olathe also. just passing time until i get back out to CO. my GF and i are headed to aspen and the sand dunes in 2 and a half weeks. any info on good hikes (not 14er's since i am going with my GF) around the aspen area would be helpful, preferably in the maroon bells area.

Postby Aspen Summit » Wed May 16, 2007 2:29 pm

KUfiredancer,
Wear sandals when you walk on the dunes. And try this: stand with one bare foot on the sunny side of the dune and another on the shady side of the dune...the temp difference is amazing! If you have a snowboard, go and sandboard but wear a face mask. Have fun!

Kate,
I live in Vail and I miss it sooooooooo much since I've to work here in Philadelphia -- definitely not a short plane ride (3 1/2 hours). Grrr!! So when I do go home, most ot my time is spent in the wilderness and in my childhood bed :lol:

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!

Postby jeffs » Wed May 16, 2007 10:36 pm

It's good to see some locals on this board....well...local based upon our point of view....

Previous