Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

NOOB!!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

NOOB!!

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Tue May 08, 2007 4:35 am

New to the forum, just wanted to say hello! Hope to get my first 14ers this summer.
"There are only 3 sports, motor racing, bullfighting and mountaineering; the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

Kiefer

Postby Kiefer » Tue May 08, 2007 5:38 am

A big hearty welcome! If you need anything: beta, hiking partners, materials, information, Bill's place is the ticket. Everyone here is more than knowledgable for whatever you need.
Welcome to the site.

Postby ccunnin » Tue May 08, 2007 10:32 am

You've joined the right forum. You're going to learn more than you ever thought possible.
He who controls the spice, controls the universe.

Postby COmedic04 » Tue May 08, 2007 10:38 am

Welcome! This is a fantastic site...I'm sure you'll really enjoy the massive amounts of information, experience, and friendly climbing banter than goes on here. Good luck on your first 14er!
Paramedic: Drive safe, or I'll see you naked!!

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev

Postby Matt » Tue May 08, 2007 4:47 pm

Yeah, welcome. This is the place to be.
I'm guessing you moved from South Dakota to Kansas, or is Moose Drool available in the land of wheat, salt, dog tracks, and basketball?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby Eye Doc Hiker » Tue May 08, 2007 5:36 pm

Moose Drool-

Welcome fellow Kansan. I'm from your neck of the woods, just 30 miles south of Olathe. This is a great site. We share that nice 500 mile drive across I-70 to the mountains. Do you know of any decent hiking within a few hours of KC?
It's about the journey, not the destination.

http://www.oseyecare.com

Postby altitudesick » Tue May 08, 2007 7:58 pm

i live near perry lake and there is some nice hiking trails on both sides of the lake. right now probably wouldnt be so good seeing as eastern kansas is a marsh right now. i give you more info if you need it.

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Wed May 09, 2007 4:42 am

We've hit the Tallgrass National Prairie Preserve down on US 50, around Strong City. It's only got a few trails, the longest I think is 3 miles or so. Really neat place.
"There are only 3 sports, motor racing, bullfighting and mountaineering; the rest are merely games." - Ernest Hemingway

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Wed May 09, 2007 4:43 am

Native Kansan. I'm a flatlander. Last name is Pennington, so the folks in S. Dakota must be fans of mine. Discovered Moose Drool while in MT last summer. Nectar of the Gods. Funny name, makes one laugh. Great beer!!!

Postby Cornfed97 » Wed May 09, 2007 5:47 am

Welcome ubernoob!!!! Its about time you joined and learned a thing or two. I will be submitting a post inquiring about the sawtooth, keep an eye out for it so we can see what we are in for.

Postby MOOSE DROOL » Thu May 10, 2007 4:13 am

I'm thinking it will be high, and somewhat exposed. Long walk. Maybe windy. I am excited to see it with my own eyes. Being off the streets with this tendonitis is killing me. I've gotta get out and run. I may just suck it up and run any way. We shall see! Just under 90 days til we head out!

Postby Kate » Thu May 10, 2007 7:20 am

Welcome to the boards! I am from Topeka, KS. Last summer I would drive out to CO to hike a 14er. The drive really isn't that bad, especially once you get a move on. (I do it far more often than I'd like. -- Though I will mention that it is cheaper to fly from Kansas City to Denver than to drive.)

I'm sure you'll find that this board will provide you with as many hiking partners and close friends as you want. It's a truly unique community.

Look forward to seeing you out this summer maybe!

Next