Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

gear jacking

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby sherpasmith » Thu May 31, 2007 1:29 pm

I got in a hurry once at the Stevens Gulch trailhead (Grays and Torreys) and left my car door wide open! We came back 8 hours later and nothing was disturbed. We left our wallets, cell phones etc in plain view. I think that any one who saw the door open assumed we were in the immediate area. It reinforced my assertion that mountaineering types are generally not materialists. If your gear gets stolen, I'd bet it was professional thieves, not the folks you you met on the trail, or the summit that day. I have heard stories of groups of thieves targeting ski area parking lots and trailheads, but I think that is a very rare occurence.

Postby Kruck » Thu May 31, 2007 2:34 pm

Nothing lifted. Just gear chewed by rodents. Though if a man chewed a hole in my backpack in the middle of the night, I guess I'd offer to let him keep it.

A note on chipmunks in SW Utah, S. Nevada: Though half-tamed by jerks tossing scraps to them, I had always assumed back-cover chipmunks (which shade themselves with their tails) were hard to take revenge upon. They're just too fast bolting for the rocks. Last weekend's discovery, however, was that they do not fully recognize the awesome speed and power of a swinging Dynastar ski pole. A dozen of them chewed through my cooler flap and pulled out a ham sandwich during my scramble to Mouse's Tank in VO Fire. They were suprised to see me back so soon, I think.

Postby jwproulx » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:53 pm

On the subject of rodent attacks:

I once went on a weekend backpacking trip on the north side or RMNP. On the way back down to Boulder, we stopped at a gas station at the western edge of Ft. Collins. As the others went into the convenience store, I popped the hood to check the oil and add some washer fluid. After a minute, I suddenly noticed what looked like a pod of translucent bright pink alien pod things sqirming about on my engine manifold. I seriously I was hallucinating. After an hours drive on mountain roads, there couldn't possibly be anything actually living there. I seriously questioned my sanity.

It seems a mouse had chewed up some of the insulation under my hood to make a nest, and there were her eight babies, far from home and not long for this world. One of my friends removed the nest and placed it by a filed where I'm sure some ravens had a good meal out of it.

Not the only wildlife encounter with a car, but definitely the weirdest.

Postby otr13 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:57 pm

There's a fat marmot in Yankee Boy Basin that owes me a new pair of Chacos.

Bibler bivy, down sleeping bag, all kinds of goodies for him to chew, and he had to tear up my Chacos.

I'll be doing Sneffels on Monday...I remember that furry little monster...Chaco-breath little beast. When I find him....

Postby ddunlap » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:19 pm

otr13 wrote:I remember that furry little monster...Chaco-breath little beast. When I find him....

I'll let you borrow my mini 'marmot' spear gun if you want. But, I'm just not sure how good Chaco-feed marmot would taste. :shock: Boodog!!

On a serious note, you might want to try this next time you're in marmot country (with gear that you want left alone):

http://www.critter-repellent.com/woodch ... emoval.php
"...Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference." -Frost

Postby RenoBob » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:58 pm

I had my sleeping bag swiped from a remote camp site outside of Arroyo Hondo(?) NM. :evil: It was the second day into a 5 day trip to "find" myself when I was 19. It was a miserable few nights after that. I also had my tent rummaged through at a campsite in the Unitas, but they didn't take anything.
The killer ravens at Chaco Canyon are the worst. They opened a Big Coleman ice chest and scattered it all over the campground. We got fined by the Rangers for littering and endangering wildlife. :evil: I swear that ice chest was frickin' bullet proof and latched. But somehow they got it opened and it must have been a raven rave party after that. I'm sure the fine was also a result of the attitude we copped with the Rangers, they were not sympathetic to our position.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby Doug Shaw » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:03 pm

Papillon wrote:They gnawed on the handles of my trekking poles a few years back.

You mean like this?

Note: their first effort may not be to gnaw, but to snatch and run. I learned this the hard way. Fortunately the pole was too long to be pulled into their den. Precocious little buggers. After I retrieved my poles, a couple minutes later they were back out knawing and tugging on the handles again.

Postby mtgirl » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:05 pm

otr13 wrote:There's a fat marmot in Yankee Boy Basin that owes me a new pair of Chacos.

Bibler bivy, down sleeping bag, all kinds of goodies for him to chew, and he had to tear up my Chacos.

I'll be doing Sneffels on Monday...I remember that furry little monster...Chaco-breath little beast. When I find him....

I just about spit my diet coke out through my nose reading this.....ha ha ha. Thanks, I needed a laugh today ! :lol:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby guitmo223 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:28 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:
Papillon wrote:They gnawed on the handles of my trekking poles a few years back.

You mean like this?

Great picture Doug! :lol:

I wonder what BBQ'd marmot tastes like?
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby RenoBob » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:37 pm

guitmo223 wrote:
I wonder what BBQ'd marmot tastes like?

Chicken!
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby Scott Rogers » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:40 pm

Nothing like rotissere marmot in the backcountry. :D

Postby mtn_hikin » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:28 pm

You would probably want to marinate them a good 10 hours and then braise them in a nice red wine sauce.

PreviousNext