Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

gear jacking

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

gear jacking

Postby Ackbar » Sun May 06, 2007 10:12 am

For anybody who has ever overnighted on a 14er:

Have you ever left camp set up for a lighter-weight summit day and had your gear messed with?
"with gravity times velocity times speed, by the time it hits you, it hurts pretty bad"
--Dallas Cowboys tight end Martellus Bennett

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Sun May 06, 2007 10:53 am

I've done it a bunch of times and never had any problems. I did have some climbing gear jacked from my car campsite in North Carolina (Table Rock), but never had any problems in the backcountry.

Postby Cruiser » Sun May 06, 2007 11:02 am

I've left backcountry camps set up lots of times, and I've never had a problem with people messing with it. Animals do occasionally try to chew on camping gear though. There are some other threads about this very subject:
http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5303
http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3088
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby Couloirman » Sun May 06, 2007 11:29 am

marmots and ravens have messed with my stuff(chewed through expensive things and stolen food) on several occasions, but the human backcountry pirates have yet to attack me...

Re: gear jacking

Postby gdthomas » Sun May 06, 2007 12:01 pm

TexasAggieMountainMan wrote:For anybody who has ever overnighted on a 14er:

Have you ever left camp set up for a lighter-weight summit day and had your gear messed with?

No.

Postby TK » Sun May 06, 2007 1:50 pm

Once I returned from a day-hike to find that a chipmunk had given birth inside my backpack and chewed my clothes to pieces for a nest.

Needless to say, I didn't change my clothes for the rest of the trip.

Otherwise, no problems.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby Skip Perkins » Sun May 06, 2007 3:45 pm

Marmots have been the usual suspects for me also. Humans couldn't handle the smell.

Postby Ackbar » Sun May 06, 2007 4:11 pm

TK wrote:Once I returned from a day-hike to find that a chipmunk had given birth inside my backpack and chewed my clothes to pieces for a nest.

Otherwise, no problems.

You're joking, right? I didn't see a :) so I didn't know what to think...
"with gravity times velocity times speed, by the time it hits you, it hurts pretty bad"
--Dallas Cowboys tight end Martellus Bennett

Kiefer

Postby Kiefer » Sun May 06, 2007 4:25 pm

This has always been a concern at trailhead's. I know some people have had problems but I believe the overwhelming majority have been OK in terms of break-ins and theft.

As of a few years ago, I've adopted a new stance for leaving my vehicle unattended at trailhead's, I'll actually bring a used pair of socks and underware (clean) and leave them in plain sight on the front dash.
I figure, the "apparent odorous assault" of what would behold the thief if they open my vehicle, would deter them immediately.
I've never had a problem! :P

Postby TK » Sun May 06, 2007 5:52 pm

DisplacedAggie02 wrote:
TK wrote:Once I returned from a day-hike to find that a chipmunk had given birth inside my backpack and chewed my clothes to pieces for a nest.

Otherwise, no problems.

You're joking, right? I didn't see a :) so I didn't know what to think...

There's some things you just can't make up. It's worth laughing about now though.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby Geof3 » Sun May 06, 2007 10:28 pm

Never had an issue... I've heard that the Blanca trailhead on the south can be a common break in site. But, like anything it's kind of a rumor. I'm WAY more concerned with car sites. Few thieves would work that hard for slim pickin's of an overnight camp.
Blue Steel

Postby rlw49 » Sat May 12, 2007 5:52 pm

The question is: is there anyplace safe to park in Levelland or do you have to go to Ralls?

Any trouble I've had, has been in campgrounds (commercial, no less). No problems at trailheads, haven't overnight backpacked yet.

Next