Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New to 14ers Looking for Climbing buddy

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

I am in the boulder area also

Postby Shad » Mon May 14, 2007 6:45 am

Sherman is also a great hill for a 1st accent. I took a buddy up yesterday for his 2nd 14er and it was a bit of snow left but it is melting quickly. I will write a trip report in the next day or two.

I am doing Grays and Torrys on the weekend of June 1st. I am going solo as of now and would like company if any one is interested.

I have done Longs 3 times, it was my 1st 14er, and I would not recommend it as a 1st unless you are in good shape and ok with being exposed a little bit. I am camping at the Boulder field on Longs July 25th-26th and will be summiting Longs and Meeker if you are interested.

A great hike to do in the Boulder area to train for Longs is to start on the South Mesa trailhead and go up Shadow Canyon to South Boulder Peak then over to Bear Mountain and then over to Green Mountain and come down on to North Mesa Trailhead. This will give you about 12 miles and 5000-6000 feet. Of course you will need to drop off a car or bike at the other end to get back to South Mesa trailhead. If you want to push it even farther you can throw in Flagstaff Mountain and Mount Santas too for 16 miles and 7800 feet or so. If you can do what I call the Boulder Skyline Transverse then you should be ready without question for Longs. This is a great hike with great views.

If you are into trailrunning drop me a line, I live in the Bolder area and I am up in the Flatirons 3-4 times a week running.

Shad
Some succeed because they are destined to,
but most succeed because they are determined to.
-----unknown

Postby luv2hikejulie » Mon May 14, 2007 7:22 am

I tried Quandry (2x) this last weekend as my first 14er. It was a little frustrating with all the post holing (even in snow shoes). We got turned around at around 12'600 due to storm moving in. So if trying Quandry as a first, while beautiful scenery, would wait till later in the season for more snow melt, or get a early early start.

Postby gc » Mon May 14, 2007 8:36 am

My first 14er was Lincoln, and my second was Long's peak. I wasn't sure if I was ready for Long's peak but it worked out well. I didn't have any scrambling/bouldering/rock climbing experience at the time and Long's wasn't too big a deal. Just be careful and try not to knock loose rocks down. Its a long hike so you want to start early to have the best chance of getting to the summit before weather comes in. I think we left the trailhead at 4:30 am or something. On most days that would be a bit late cause storms can develop early. Luckily the weather was exceptional that day. I concur with the others to try another 14er first. Its good to see how you react to the altitude first. If any of you guys want to go up a 14er almost anytime in the next month let me know. I just graduated from college and I'm taking a month off to hike/climb. Snow is melting pretty fast in the frontrange. Did quandary yesterday and although snowshoes would be nice they weren't necessary.

The same for me

Postby hikergirl » Wed May 23, 2007 10:20 pm

Have not done a 14er yet either, but want to go on Sunday to the easiest one at this point in the season. Would you be up for going or does anyone else want to join me? There will be at least a couple of us. :lol:

Postby ajkagy » Thu May 24, 2007 7:20 am

I'm going up Mt Lady Washington this weeekend...granted its not a 14er, but a good prep...

Postby gc » Thu May 24, 2007 9:18 am

Can't go Sunday but if you want to go another day let me know.

Previous