Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New to 14ers Looking for Climbing buddy

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

New to 14ers Looking for Climbing buddy

Postby skateslabel » Sat May 05, 2007 9:55 pm

I am new to Colorado and have taking up hiking and I have decided that I want to start doing a few 14ers. I know they are dangerous and all so I was hoping to find someone to help me get started and show me the ropes of doing 14ers and the such. If you are interested, please email me. Thanks.
Charles

Postby thebeave7 » Sat May 05, 2007 10:34 pm

A lot of the 14ers aren't dangerous, you just have to pick your mountains. A handful are class 1(trail to the top) many more are class 2(some rock hopping, but not really dangerous). Even if you don't find a partner, just start with the easier mountains. Beta on routes can be found here or in many guidebooks.
Eric

Postby skateslabel » Sun May 06, 2007 12:28 am

Which would be a good 14er to start off on that is some what close to Boulder? I was thinking Long's Peak, but I was reading one story about crampons and the sort, which I don't have(yet). Any information would be helpful.

Postby jimlup » Sun May 06, 2007 6:50 am

skateslabel wrote:Which would be a good 14er to start off on that is some what close to Boulder? I was thinking Long's Peak, but I was reading one story about crampons and the sort, which I don't have(yet). Any information would be helpful.

Hey Skateslabel! Welcome to 14ers.com. You will find an amazing amount of useful information here. I successful summited my first 14er last summer from the information here.

If you are new to mountain climbing, I wouldn't try Longs as your first. While crowded with lots of people and close to Boulder, it is a difficult class 3. You will want to start at Class 1 or 2. I did Mt. Yale (class 2) with my brother as my first - we found it incredible, very challenging and very rewarding.

I'm considering Longs after several other 14ers this summer. I'm going for Quandry (class 1), Grays-Torreys (class 2 but I'm going to do a class 3 route :o ) and then perhaps Longs if I feel ready. I live in Michigan, not Colorado, but I'm a teacher so I'm hoping to spend most of the summer in Co.

A good way to find climbing partners is to go to one of the 14er.com gatherings. There has been some mention of a "spring" gathering but nothing's been planned yet (anyone?). Learn as much as you can from this site and be sure your fitness level is good. I may be interested in partners for Quandry but I'm not sure when I'm going (mid-June ish).

Good Luck and welcome to the forum!
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...

Postby 14ers4me » Sun May 06, 2007 6:52 am

I dont think that Longs would be one you want to do for your first time. It has a lot of scrambling and is sometimes done with ropes. I think that Bierstadt would be the best one to try for your first time and then maybe Evans. They are both relatively close to Boulder and right around each other.
Colorado-The only place beautiful enough to call home

Postby thebeave7 » Sun May 06, 2007 8:05 am

I agree with the above posters, Longs would not be the best 14er to start with, though it is a wonderful mountain. It is class 3, with a bit of scrambling and some exposure. Especially since you live in Colorado, start easier, then work up to Longs. Here are a few mountains to start with

Front Range:
Mt Evans
Mt Bierstadt
Grays Peak
Torreys Peak
Pikes Peak(long hike)

Further Away:
Quandry Peak
Mt Elbert
Massive
Mt Belford
Mt Oxford
La Plata Peak

Just throwing out some peak options for you. All are class 1-2 by the standard routes. One other thing that hasn't been mentioned, but you'll probably want to wait until at least mid-June so that much of the snow has melted off these peaks.
Eric

Postby skerrane » Sun May 06, 2007 8:26 am

Hey, I'm in the same situation. Just moved out hiere in November and trying to figure out what the best way to start is. After reading many of the posts here, the biggest challenge so far seems that everything is still covered in snow.

It surprising, all winter I loved hearing about freshies and now Im cursing everytime the weathermen say 10 new inches in the foothills.

I was thinking about doing the Mesa Trail area near Boulder to Bear and South Boulder Peak this weekend to start getting used to hiking again. Let me know if youre interested.

Postby ajkagy » Sun May 06, 2007 3:02 pm

I'd be up for going on some hikes...I just moved to Boulder so I'm in the same boat as you :)

Postby skerrane » Sun May 06, 2007 5:20 pm

well im thinking about heading up to the mesa trailhead either friday or saturday morning if you want to meetup. Was going to do it this weekend but slept in instead.

Postby Hunter » Mon May 14, 2007 6:49 am

I agree with THEBRAVE7's peak list. Having grown up here and hiked 14er's with my parents at a young age there are many you should consider before Longs. I respect the folks who hike year-round, but it's not for me. I'm at a point in my life where I have too much to risk and only hike between July 4th and Labor Day (official 14er season). My suggestion- don't fall into the machismo trap carrying the bare minimum. Always carry the 10 essentials. You can never predict what the weather's going to do and it changes so quickly. I was turned around at the keyhole of Longs when I was 14 because of the weather and it's bugged me ever since. I learned a valuable lesson that day though. No matter where you are on the trail be acutely aware of the weather and turn around if you hear thunder. Lightening is real and unforgiving of arrogance. Remember the most important thing you'll pack before you leave to hike is your head. The problem with common sence?- It's not so common. Take care and have fun. These mountains are addicting.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

fellow boulderites

Postby cbell94 » Mon May 14, 2007 7:39 am

Hey -

I'm also in Boulder and fairly new to 14ers. I'm planning on building up some experience close to home with some of the nice 12ers and 13ers over in Indian Peaks Wilderness Area. I'll be looking for hiking partners for those trips as soon as some of the snow cooks off so give me a holler if you are interested and maybe we can work our way up to Longs by late August.

Postby Scott P » Mon May 14, 2007 7:44 am

It has a lot of scrambling and is sometimes done with ropes.

If you're speaking of the Keyhole route, it's a bad idea to use ropes on that one during the summer season. The route is crowded and you would be slowing down a lot of people, plus creating a greater rockfall hazard for others. It would detract from safety rather than add to it.

Anyway, to continue with the original question, if you go with someone experienced, if you go prepared with proper gear, and climb in the summer season, anyone in shape shouldn't have too much trouble with most of the 14ers. Weather is usually the main concern.

In addition to the above, Huron is a recommended one. My son enjoyed that one. For an overnight/multi day adventure, Windom is a good one, but a long way from Boulder. Sunshine/Redloud are a long way too, but nice.

If you don't mind climbing with a kid, anyone is welcome to join Kessler and I on any peaks this summer, including some 14ers. Sicne we're preparing for a 100 mile hike soon and going up to high alititudes, we're planning on getting lots of practice this summer.
Last edited by Scott P on Mon May 14, 2007 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Next