Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

My neighbor gets me in a lot of trouble.

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

My neighbor gets me in a lot of trouble.

Postby doicomehereoften1 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:45 am

She wants to climb a 14er before she leaves Colorado (neither of us are from here). We're both in very good shape (still young, both light/medium runners), and after doing some preliminary research on this great site, I think that Gray's Peak would be a viable option for us to climb. Only catch, she wants to go on Sunday. I think it's realistic to go for it this time of year, but wanted to be sure. We don't have anything beyond standard gear (small packs, Camelbacks, sturdy boots), and don't plan on spending the night near there if we don't have to.

Can anybody give us some more recent info on the trail's conditions right now? Is there anything else that we should consider before committing to this?
Last edited by doicomehereoften1 on Tue May 01, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Aubrey » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:30 am

Grays is a good option but you'll have to wait a while (as in many weeks). It's still blanketed with snow and I doubt you could get very far up that road in any vehicle, making the journey much longer and more arduous (I think the road is still buried in snow to the Bakerville Exit). I believe there's also some avy danger, especially where the trail skirts below Kelso Mountain, as I've heard. Regardless, it would be one epic journey right now.

Postby KeithK » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:33 am

I'm guessing that Quandary would be much more accessible for you this weekend, but I'm curious as to what the snow conditions would be sans snowshoes. I would imagine that you'd still do a lot of postholing below treeline. I'm still kicking around going up there on Saturday.
Snow is dumb.™

Postby bmratc » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:35 am

I'm heading up this wed. to check out the road conditions to the trailhead. I'll let you know what i find out, my guess is the road is still snowcovered

Postby tylermacguire » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:49 am

Quandry might be a better option but remember, there can be Avalanche danger on the last section of the east face (standard Route). If you do go I would be sure to get an early start. There has not been a good freeze in Summit County in a few days.

Postby doicomehereoften1 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:20 am

Thanks everybody for your quick replies! Given that you all feel that there might some amount of dangerous conditions no matter where we go, I'll see if I can talk her in to rescheduling for when she comes back in July or August. I'll look into Quandry as another option, but if anybody has any other good ideas or information, please let me know! I'm definitely interested in finding out as much as a I can.

Postby Aubrey » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:16 pm

Current Quandary info courtesy of mtnmike:
http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5753

... curiously, he makes postholing sound fun :? :lol:

doicomehereoften1, July and August would be MUCH better, especially for a first-timer. No sense in making a difficult thing even more difficult. And in late July or August you'll have the pick of the litter among the "easier" 14ers ... Grays, Torreys, Quandary, Sherman, Bierstadt ...

Why not climb a lower peak this Sunday? Plenty of excellent peaks around Boulder, for example (easy [Mt. Sanitas] to hard [Bear Peak] and everything in between). Should be mostly dry by next Sunday, especially with the hot weather we're having (Bear Peak may still have a little ice up top, so Yaktrax may come in handy). Or how about Horsetooth Rock, just west of Fort Collins? It's all dry.

Not good for 1st time... at this time of year

Postby skyerunner » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:56 pm

Last edited by skyerunner on Sun May 13, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby doicomehereoften1 » Tue May 01, 2007 12:46 am

Thanks everyone! After sharing your great information with her and showing that it's not just me complaining, she's changed her mind about this weekend. We'll find something else to do, I'm sure. Not sure if it'll be outdoors or not, though. She's also in the process of moving (at which point she'll no longer be my neighbor, hopefully something else, though), so that's probably what we'll be up to.

Again Thanks! And I'll be sure to stop in from time to time, you all are great!