Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looking for some fun

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Looking for some fun

Postby jared420 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:33 am

Hey everyone,

My name's Jared and I just got back from a 6 month expedition in Patagonia. Now that I'm back here I was looking for some mountaineering to get into and my dad said I should check out one of the 14ers. Being from Memphis, I don't know a great deal about Colorado and was hoping that some of you could help narrow down my search.

I'm looking for something to do at the end of the summer (aug-sept) that will still be covered in snow for the most part. I also would like a pretty difficult peak, not the hardest but something that will give me something to look back on, but something that also my non-experienced friends could do; a mixed route would be cool.

Thanks alot,
Jared

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:39 am

Its tough to say. If your bringing along friends without much experience, it'd be hard to recomend something that has a middle ground.

For yourself, you could get to the south colony lake trailhead and do the Crestones while your inexperienced friends do Humboldt Pk, all accessible from that area.

As far as snow is concerned, late august and september you'll see little to no snow on pretty much all the 14ers, except maybe a permanent snowfield here and there. Then again snow conditions aren't my specialty, there may be something out there, but I've done a lot of mtns in that time of year and really don't remember a lot of snow.

Another one to recomend is Capitol and Snowmass from the snowmass lakes trailhead, its more of a 2-3 day backpacking trip but both are accessible, capitol being the tough one and snowmass being a little easier (and it has a big permanent snowfield on the east side).

Postby Scott P » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:40 am

I'm looking for something to do at the end of the summer (aug-sept) that will still be covered in snow for the most part.

If so, you would be better off heading for the Wind Rivers or Cascades. There are some small snow and ice fields in CO at that time, but not much and many are plagued with rockfall.

I also would like a pretty difficult peak, not the hardest but something that will give me something to look back on, but something that also my non-experienced friends could do; a mixed route would be cool.

I know of no mixed routes in Colorado. Again, you will want to head to the Cascades, but then sometimes September isn’t that great up there depending on the route.

CO has rock climbing in summer and ice climbs in winter, but no mixed or real glacier climbs. You will definitely find nothing like Patagonia here.

If you are satisfied with rock climbs, then you will find plenty to do around here. For mixed, snow, or glacier climbs your mostly out of luck in late summer. June and early July have plenty of couloir routes as well.

Postby Andy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:28 am

Scott Patterson wrote:
I'm looking for something to do at the end of the summer (aug-sept) that will still be covered in snow for the most part.

If so, you would be better off heading for the Wind Rivers or Cascades. There are some small snow and ice fields in CO at that time, but not much and many are plagued with rockfall.

I agree with Scott. Late August is not the time to find good ice and snow in Colorado.

Scott Patterson wrote:
I also would like a pretty difficult peak, not the hardest but something that will give me something to look back on, but something that also my non-experienced friends could do; a mixed route would be cool.

I know of no mixed routes in Colorado. Again, you will want to head to the Cascades, but then sometimes September isn’t that great up there depending on the route.

Good mixed lines are hard to come by in late August, but there are some good ones on 14ers. Notch Couloir on Longs is tops on my list this season. It's got a little of everything - snow, ice, 5.5ish rock. Another one on Longs that looks awesome is Alexanders Chimney (you could link it w/Kieners or Notch Couloir). I'm not sure what its name is (Gash Couloir or CMC Couloir maybe) or how hard it is, but that couloir on the North Face of Blanca also looks awesome. If you don't limit yourself to 14ers then the possibilities really open up.
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com