Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Relativly new at this game

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Relativly new at this game

Postby anasarca76 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:57 pm

I am relatively new to the 14er scene with only 4 peaks in my limited first summer. I am interested in starting earlier this year... like right now! :) I am hesitant for a few reasons, First I have little experience with snow hikes/climbs and probably am ill equipped. Secondly I am having trouble finding other to hike with. So my question to everyone is what are some of the good peaks to make a first snow ascent… and do you want to go? :) Also equipment advice would also be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Postby rlw49 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:09 pm

Welcome to the site
Read as much of the forums as you can. It has a lot of the info you are requesting. Concensus seems to be that Quandry is good now. Wind blown ridge with little snow, except below treeline. I'm sure others will have better info for you, and also might let you join up on a hike.

Postby Scott P » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:37 pm

Secondly I am having trouble finding other to hike with. So my question to everyone is what are some of the good peaks to make a first snow ascent

Quandary Peak is a good first.

Also, I'm probably taking my son Kessler up Grays and Torreys May 11-12. I don't know if you would want to climb with a kid, but if you didn't care, you could join us.

Postby Aubrey » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:35 pm

My advice would be to post more than once. You have good/valid questions. I'm looking forward to the replies, myself. But stick around, man, make yourself comfortable.

Postby Kojones » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:12 am

I hate to promote what I do (hike alone), but I do it. Take some busy peaks alone and work your way to the less-crowded ones. I love hiking alone, but partners don't bother me.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby shanahan96 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:32 am

the front and tenmile/mosquito ranges would be good bets right now. snow conditions will vary right now so it would be in your best interest in to stay off the faces for the time being.

find a peak/area you would feel comfortable with, grab a topo, find the ridges and make some plans. start with something you view as being conversative and progress from there. you should be able to grasp what you can and can't handle fairly quickly.

remember that snow travel can be slow travel at certain times. that can be very humbling.

jamie