Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climbing suggestions? - early July

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Climbing suggestions? - early July

Postby sdmike » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:58 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum and relatively new to hiking but am addicted. My dad & I climbed Mt. Whitney (one-day hike) last summer along with a number of the "higher" peaks in So. California to train. I live in San Diego so I am somewhat limited with challenging hikes but do what I can.

I am planning a trip to Denver to visit my sister in early July and want to do a day hike of a 14er. I'm looking for suggestions, although from the searches I've done I'm leaning towards Mt. Elbert or Mt. Massive. I want something that's challenging enough but won't kill me. I would also like something scenic. I'm planning on climbing solo, but if there's anybody interested in going along, please let me know.

Can't wait to get out there, thanks for any info/suggestions you might have.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:37 pm

I'd suggest Grays and Torreys over Elbert or Massive. Much closer to Denver, better scenery, plus you can climb two fourteeners AND they're the two highest points on the continental divide in the US.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby HarryQuach » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:30 pm

I am from San Diego and moved out here for college. I have also done the major so cal hikes and Whitney. Im game for a 14er that time of year. Just PM me with the details. BTW What part of San Diego do you live in?

Postby HarryQuach » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:32 pm

Also I would second the notion of Grays and Torreys over either Elbert of Massive

Postby Floyd » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:46 pm

If you're willing to drive to Elbert or Massive for a day trip, go the extra half hour to Missouri Gulch. Belford/Oxford is much more enjoyable than Greys/Torreys or Elbert/Massive. Its a much longer day too. You could have an extremely long day trip if you added Missouri Mtn. too.

Postby Scott P » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:45 pm

I want something that's challenging enough but won't kill me.

If you have done Whitney in a day then almost any 14er will do except for a few such as Snowmass of the ones around Chicago Basin (and maybe one or two more).

If you don't mind scrambling, I find the Elks and San Juans to have the most beautiful 14ers in CO.

If you aren't into scrambling, Holy Cross or Huron are good ones.

Postby tylermacguire » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:53 am

Keep in mind Torreys and Grays close proximity to Denver means that they can be terribly crowded in the Summer especially on weekends. If you are looking for solitude you will have to be prepared for a longer drive.

July Hike

Postby pw » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:32 pm

I disagree with the Grays-Torreys suggestions, you will be sharing the peaks with a hundred or so others, and since you are only going to try one, the Sawatch range might be nicer. Yale was a favorite of mine, its short distance-wise but a respectable vertical. Missouri was nice, felt almost isolated, we were the only two on it when we did it. Elbert and Massive aren't bad hikes either, or Harvard. Since you will be on vacation, shoot for a weekday, things get quite crowded on weekends.

thanks for the suggestions

Postby sdmike » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:23 pm

I appreciate all the suggestions. I do have a little time still, can't wait though. I am planning on going on a Friday, so probably won't need to worry as much about crowds?

San Diego really isn't close to any significant mountains so I'm used to a little drive before a hike. Really just want a challenge with nice views. Sounds like I pretty much can't go wrong...

Postby Stacey » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:37 pm

Hello Mike, I also live in San Diego and went to Colorado last summer to climb some mountains there. I'll be returning in July to climb three more. I think you would do well with Elbert. It's a long day but my understanding is that it's the second highest peak in the lower 48. The elevation made it a little tiresome at times but with a relentless attitude it shouldn't be a problem. There are enough other people on the trail and the trail itself is well enough defined that it is pretty much a day hike. I carried too much gear wwhen all I really needed were the basics for a day hike: food, water, layers, headlamp, camera, etc. I made it up and back in one long day......... and I am a woman in her forties hiking alone.
I was surprised that the hardest part for me was just getting tired from the elevation. Yale was also nice............... there's free camping also on the road to the pass out of Buena Vista just past the library.......... in the National Forest...........
Good luck, have fun................. :)
Stacey