Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Group Leading Advice

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby Hunter » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:57 am

You and Bill have great insight and experience. I value your oppinion and thanks for your help.

I'll put a post on the trip when we finish and let you know how it went. We plan to do it the second week in July. The first week of July we'll do three (see my goals under my profile).

My hiking buddy is 9 years my junior (I'm 32) so he has the youthful advantage. I live in Castle Rock and according to Google Earth, my elevation is 6450. I think this gives me an incrimental advantage, but who knows. I didn't experience any altitude issues last year on the 5 I did.

Postby TalusMonkey » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:58 am

In Oct of 2005 I climbed Missouri via Missouri gulch and then dropped from Missouri down the ridge to Elkhead Pass and went up the ridge to Belford. I believe the ridge down from Missouri is rated class 4. We had to downclimb several short cliffs/drops. It was certainly not class 2 and I don't think any book shows it as a class 2 route.
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

Postby Hunter » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:01 am

TalusMonkey - Agreed. So long as you stay on the trails shown on the NG Trails Ill.-ed you're looking at only class 2.

Previous