Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Most beatiful/picturesque hikes

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:57 pm

god exists, meaning a place that resembles heaven, some people are more spiritual than others or have a different way of describing something or somewhere.

Postby rider » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:05 pm

I thought the Halo Ridge route to Holy Cross was fantastic. This route provides a "postcard" view of the cross couleur (sorry can't spell right now) and the Bowl of Tears basin.

It's possible to use the standard route on the way down, so you don't miss the views from the Halfmoon Pass side.

Note to self ... upload some Halo Ridge route photos.

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:34 pm

Jan and I have always said, if you only get to climb one fourteener, make it Huron. Nice jeep drive to TH, every kind of terrain, stunning views of the three apostles and you see the greatest number of 14ers (maybe).

I also agree with the opinion about the view of Holy Cross from Half Moon Pass. It is the photo, with late afternoon sun glinting off the blocks, that I have turned into a screen saver that I get to see every day.

I have now waxed so nostalgically poetic that I'll go have a beer, thanks.

dkc
Last edited by Duffus Kentucky Climber on Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:49 pm

Van McDaniel wrote:In no particular order:
Vestal/Wham Ridge
The Three Apostles from Huron
Yankee Boy Basin...Check out Mt. Gilpin....It looks like a layer cake.
Imogene Pass/Black Bear Pass
Uncompahgre/Wetterhorn from the paved highway south of Lake City at sunrise.
Wetterhorn from Wetterhorn Basin during a full moon.
Sneffels from Dallas Divide during Fall colors.
Crested Butte during Fall colors. Rent a jeep if you have to, it's worth it.
Crested Butte in a snowstorm on Christmas eve and morning.
The trail to West Maroon Pass during the height of wildflower season.
Oh-Be-Joyful trail summer/fall.
Paradise Basin/Divide near Schofield Pass summer/fall...good views of Maroon Peak.
View of Longs Peak from Twin Sisters.
View of Longs Peak from Chasm Lake.
View of Chasm Lake from the Notch Coulior on Longs Peak.
View of Longs Peak from Longs Peak or anywhere near Longs Peak.
Capitol Peak from any direction but the view on top of Capitol on a clear day defies desciption.
Mt.Wilson/El Diente across Navaho Basin from Rock of Ages Saddle just after sunup. Pack heat and shoot back if need be.
Twin baby Mountain Goats chasing each other around the old summit house and over the boulders on Mt. Evans.
The Crestones from either side, Colony Lakes or Cottonwood Lake.
Taylor Park fall/summer.
Pearl Pass
I had better stop now....I am drooling all over my self. Damn! I love Colorado!

OO,OO,OOooH:
A 2'X3' photo I took of Sneffels from Dallas Divide hangs in one of my exam rooms. Kids who have never seen a mountain that wasn't covered with trees almost always ask where it is, and "were you up there"?
There is an 8X10 in my business office of Wilson Peak taken from peak 13,690? that shows the entire route across Rock of Ages saddle and disappearing beyond the cliff bands. Yessir!!!
I guess I could agree with people on their choices all day and not think of a fourteener that didn't have an outstanding moment.

I'm having another beer, thanks.

Postby Hiking Mike » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:22 pm

doumall wrote:
Skasgaard wrote:If anyone ever needs proof that God exists, I think these two places are it.

Don't intend to start any king of flame war, but I have never really understood this logic? Please explain? Thanks.

Not to argue either way, but...It's not logic, it's an emotional response. That doesn't make it any less valid considering that we absolutely rely on non-rational understanding of many things in life. I think it has to do with connecting with something bigger, more beautiful, and more permanent than ourselves. It gives a heightened sense of meaning to the universe and our place in it, and to many that feeling manifests itself as connection to a divine Being. Your exact experience therefore depends on what you already believe, so it's not surprising that people disagree. Just my perspective...
...And my memory shall serve me in the way that memories do:
To conjure bygone times, and shine them bright anew,
To erase the strain of effort from faces of the past,
And resurrect slight triumphs as glories unsurpassed...

Postby doumall » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Hiking Mike wrote:
doumall wrote:
Skasgaard wrote:If anyone ever needs proof that God exists, I think these two places are it.

Don't intend to start any king of flame war, but I have never really understood this logic? Please explain? Thanks.

Not to argue either way, but...It's not logic, it's an emotional response. That doesn't make it any less valid considering that we absolutely rely on non-rational understanding of many things in life. I think it has to do with connecting with something bigger, more beautiful, and more permanent than ourselves. It gives a heightened sense of meaning to the universe and our place in it, and to many that feeling manifests itself as connection to a divine Being. Your exact experience therefore depends on what you already believe, so it's not surprising that people disagree. Just my perspective...

Nice responses... I like yours the best. I guess I have felt the same, just different :wink:

Postby Meteor » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:18 pm

For scenery, my favorites thus far have been:

- La Plata stream, trees, meadow, and columbines going up

- Holy Cross on the approach coming down from Half Moon Pass

- North Halfmoon trail in valley on back side of Mt. Massive

Postby Aspen Summit » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:33 pm

So far the view from Harvard is breath-taking! I snapped this pic after my I got my FrEaK oN atop the summit with the Woooo Hoooooo-ing! :lol:

In the descent, I gave one pair of my gloves to a lady (lower part of the pic) because she was ascending with her husband WITHOUT gloves. Fortunately, her hands were slightly bigger than mine and the extra pair of gloves fit her well than they fit me. She had tears in her eyes when she gave me a big "thank you" hug. Enjoy 8)

Knight

Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!

Postby elkheart22 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:09 am

Sorry for the slight hijack of the thread...

Having not climbed all the summits,

Which of the summits has the smallest summit?

Bross & Sherman must have some of the largest summits....
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:13 am

elkheart22 wrote:Which of the summits has the smallest summit?

Probably Sunlight, but in the limit all mountains have one dimensionless point that is higher than all others, so they're all equal. [/math_geek]
Now try finding that point on Pikes Peak... :D
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:45 am

There was this one little, tiny, grain of sand sittin' on top of a summit rock on Handies and unless there is a half grain of sand sittin' on top of another summit, then I vote for that one being the smallest summit. Can somebody check and see if it is still there? Does it depend on the geological origin of the grain of sand?.............come on you other scientifical geeks......lets settle this question! :?

Postby rider » Thu May 03, 2007 9:41 am

I posted some photos of Holy Cross taken from the Halo Ridge Route ... the best photo angles are from near the Notch Mountain shelter and shortly after.

The Halo Ridge Route is about equal in physical demands as compared to standard route, plus after ascending the Halo Ridge Route the best descent is via the standard route ... so you get a complete tour around the peak and the Bowl of Tears basin.

PreviousNext