Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Most beatiful/picturesque hikes

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Most beatiful/picturesque hikes

Postby Prahs » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:37 pm

In the Sawatch and Sangre de Cristo ranges, what ascents would be the most beautiful and picturesque? Thanks!
Honrare Peritium

Postby Kevin Baker » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Huron has some pretty nice views in the Sawatch since it's next to the 3 Apostles and is in the middle of everything. I also like the views on Holy Cross. In the Sangres, you'll have awesome views on all of the 14ers except for maybe Culebra. You can't go wrong in the Sangres. The Sawatch pales in comparison to what you wil see in the Elks, Sangres, and San Juans.

Postby lordhelmut » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:54 pm

I second that notion on Huron. La Plata would probably be my favorite in the Sawatch and as far as the Sangres go, when we took a break in the very middle of the Little Bear-Blanca ridge, the clouds cleared for about 10 minutes and it was one of the coolest sequence of events thus far in my time in the outdoors, plus a sick view. (followed by thunder) Its pretty sweet when you have significant drop offs on either side of you, valleys on either side and nothing more to do than enjoy the view.

Postby Prahs » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:54 pm

Thank you!
Honrare Peritium

Postby RussellT » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:16 pm

My friend and I hiked up to Lily Lake instead of Mt. Lindsey in September. We thought the weather was going to get worse than just cloudy and drizzly. But, the further up the trail we got towards Lily Lake, the clouds opened up, and the STUNNING Huerfano River Valley opened up, and you could clearly see Blanca, Lindsey, Ellingwood Point, the Iron Nipple, and the clouds were quickly and lightly moving accross the very tops. Beautiful. I even blogged about it on my myspace! It was sweet, sweet justice.

myspace.com/russellt
Yes is ALWAYS trumps the no!

Postby wasclywabbit » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:16 pm

The view of Holy Cross as you come over Half Moon Pass is my choice. It is one of the most beautiful places I've seen in Colorado.

Postby Gahugafuga » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:35 pm

I'll put in a vote for the west side of Mt Massive. The N. Halfmoon Creek basin is ringed on all sides by large and rugged peaks (Massive, Oklahoma, Deer, "K49", Elbert and the French group). In the base of the valley are large exposed sheets of downsloping bedrock. The area reminded me of the below-treeline regions of Yosemite and Little Yosemite Valleys. I've yet to see anyplace else in the Sawatch that has made me say "Yup, there was definitely a glacier here once upon a time."

Neat place, seldom visited. I saw maybe a dozen people up there over a 4th of July weekend.
Happiness is:

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:36 pm

The approach to Lindsey is jaw-dropping...beautiful. The aspen tunnels on the road to the TH are pretty cool, too.
Huron and La Plata are scenic Sawatch options with easy access.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby vr64ever » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:41 pm

Kind of a Hijack:

One of the best view of the mountains I have ever seen was when I was leaving DIA 2 Fridays ago (4/6), if you all remember it was a cloudy cold overcast day in Denver.

After we broke throught the clouds the celing was about tree line. So flying out you could only see the higher peaks, I had amazing views of Evans, Bierstadt, Grays, Torreys, Quandary, and Mt of the Holy Cross. It was like a few snow covered islands surrounded by a sea of clouds. If anyone was up high that entire weekend they were in for a special treat.

Unfortunatly there was a big cloud covering the Bells though.

Re: Most beatiful/picturesque hikes

Postby mtgirl » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:53 pm

Prahs wrote:In the Sawatch and Sangre de Cristo ranges, what ascents would be the most beautiful and picturesque? Thanks!

I'll agree with the others on the recommendation for Huron in the Sawatch. In the Sangres, I'd vote for Humbolt. A fairly simple hike up, but the views of South Colony Lakes and the Crestones up close are stunning.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby fleetmack » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:15 pm

figures that everyone is saying huron and holy cross ... when i was on huron it was too foggy to see anything, and on holy cross it was dark on my way up, and raining/cloudy on the way down. here's my trip reports with photographic evidence:

Holy Cross:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmain

Huron:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmain

:cry:
Please forgive my whining
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby mtnduck9 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:07 pm

Let me give you a different perspective. I've not done Huron, Holy Cross or any of the Sangres, but...
try climbing Belford, but instead of the direct, steep route, continue south int the valley between Belford and Missouri to Elkhead Pass. There is a Great view of the next valley down with Harvard, Columbia etc. You can't see into this valley until the last few feet up to the Pass, so as the view appears, suddenly, it is quite dramatic.

Next