Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Trip: Realistic or To Aggressive

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby JeffL » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:34 am

rob runkle wrote:PS> Your agenda means alot of jumping around. Sherman and Lincoln/Democrat/Bross are much better if you are staying in the Quandry area. Of course, your agenda offers a great variety, and of course, you get the high point of CO.

I originally had Democrat on my list before I became aware of the closure issue. I think we'll take the acclimatization day based on my own experience back in March while at Breckenridge. I had a bit of a headache during our first full day on the mountain. I could tell I was not 100%. After 2 nights at 9000+ feet. I felt pretty good.

I'm encouraged that so far no one has replied with "Are you out of your mind?" I always remind myself and my son that the summit is the goal not the destination. If weather or fatigue mean we have to turn around then that's what we do.

Postby rob runkle » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:32 am

I almost always have a headache on the first few days. That mild AMS doesn't concern me. And, it usually only gets so bad; no worse than a mild hangover. Killer on the downhill stomping. After a few days, it is gone.

My first year of 14ers I had it for the first 2 days, and I was on Vitamin-I (Ibuprofen) for those 2 days. But, in other trips, I've better managed my hydration. And, in my most recent trips, I've only taken 2 Ibuprofen on the first day, as a preventative, and NOTHING after that. And, no notable headaches, or AMS.

I come from 700 feet in Ohio, so I have to be concerned with acclimatization everytime I make a 14ers trip.

Rob

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:52 am

Keep in mind that Rob is a marathoner. :D

With an 8-year-old, one thing you'll have to do is keep the hikes from becoming forced "death marches". You kid might not think climbing yet another 14er is worth the agony once he's done one of them.

Your schedule sounds good, I especially like the idea of an acclimation hike. However, the Lake Dillon campgrounds might not be an ideal choice (depending on which one you pick). We stayed in a tent in one of the FS campgrounds on the west side of the lake once, and it was awful; noisy, bad tent sites (really set up for RVs and boaters more than hikers), and traffic through the campground all night long (including police responding to a "domestic disturbance"). If you are OK with the lack of amenities, there are good roadside campsites off the Quandary road (in McCullough Gulch, the right branch near Wheeler Trail) and OK campsites past the parking area on the Spruce Creek road, both closer to Quandary than Dillon would be. Just a thought...
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby rob runkle » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:52 pm

Keep in mind that Rob is a marathoner.

Shhh!! :wink:

Rob

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:05 pm

Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Previous