Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

moving to Boulder in August!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
ckf2kcw

moving to Boulder in August!

Postby ckf2kcw » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:04 pm

Hey, I'm moving to Colorado in August and know virtually nothing about hiking or camping. I've gone a couple times in North Carolina, but I have a huge desire to get some experience hiking 14ers in the next few years. Anyone have a good idea for a first time camping/hiking experience with an incredible view for August? Is anything still snow-capped that time of year? I'll actually be with a very experienced mountaineer, but she's hiked in New Zealand, so neither one of us are sure of the most gorgeous views out there in Colorado that a beginner like me could handle.

Postby TalusMonkey » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:17 pm

Welcome to Colorado ckf2kcw. August is a great time to arrive in Colorado. Although it is a time of year when afternoon thunderstorms are common, snow capped mountains will be gone. The only snow left will be on north facing/protected slopes, for the most part. There are SO many places to hike/camp - depending upon your tolerance/interest in day hikes or multi-day backpacks. Indian Peaks and Rocky Mountain Nat Park are close to Boulder. But for multi-day backpacks the San Juans of SW Colorado are the best!

Stay active on this site and you'll learn of places that appeal to you. Might even meet some fellow hikers/backpackers for your fist few trips this Aug/Sep.

Are you moving here from North Carolina for law school? Anywhere in the Piedmont? I have lived in Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Pamlico Sound and Boone (ASU alum) in North Carolina.
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

Postby Vick » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:30 pm

Congrats on getting to move to Colorado. I am also a NC resident. Last summer I moved to Boulder but I only stayed for the summer since I had to get back here in August for school. I had minimal hiking and camping experience when I went out to Colorado as I had never done that kind of stuff anywhere other than NC. The first 14er I did was Gray's and then I crossed over to Torrey's. It was an absolutely amazing experience for me. I had never been so high and to get to do 2 of the 14ers in 1 day for me was really cool. I would think that would be a really fun and rewarding experience for you. Just make sure you start very very early in the morning. I am also curious as to what part of NC you are in. I am currently going to school in Laurinburg but I Salisbury is my home between Charlotte and Greensboro and next year I will be going to school in Asheville with hopes of Boulder for law school. Hope your move to Boulder goes smoothly. You will never leave.

ckf2kcw

Postby ckf2kcw » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:26 pm

Thanks for the ideas so far. I'm so excited about all the things I want to try once i get to Colorado. I'm actually in Columbia, SC right now (NC is just the closest there is to do any hiking/camping) and yes, I'm moving up there to go to University of Colorado law school. I went to Colorado once before, but didn't get a chance to hike, but was blown away by how beautiful those mountains are and can't wait to really get close to them. I'm moving up there a few weeks before school starts so that I can go play in the mountains before I get all caught up in studying and was trying to get some pointers and ideas and possibly even meet some people to hike with. Thanks again!

Postby Aubrey » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:55 pm

ckf2kcw: sikef-two-kekewuh? Did I pronounce that right? :lol: J/K

You're gonna love Boulder! And as long as you keep such a positive attitude and passion toward the mountains, you'll definitely have a great time. The hiking right at the edge of town and beyond is limitless. Mesa Trail, South Boulder Peak, Bear Peak, Green Mountain, the Flatirons, Flagstaff Mountain, Mt. Sanitas, Sugarloaf, Betasso, Caribou and beyond. Then, if you're willing to drive 45 minutes or more, the world is your oyster.

There's so much to explore in Colorado. My wife and I have been going to new places just about every other weekend for five years and we have yet to scratch the surface. On some weekends we just pull out the map and stare it down until we discover something. Often, it's somewhere less than an hour away that we've overlooked (Grey Rock ... Horsetooth Rock ... are some recent examples).

I work downtown and try to hike during my lunch hour at least once a week. Settler's Park / red rocks is only about a 10-minute walk away. Sanitas is only a 2-minute drive.

BTW, we also did a stint in North Carolina. We lived in Wilmington for four years after college. Funny enough, during that time, we spent more weekends in the mountains of North Carolina (5-6 hours away) than we did on the beach (10 minutes away).

Postby Vick » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:46 pm

Aubrey,

I am currently living 1 hr and 45 mins from Wilimington right now and have been for the past 3 yrs but I still make the 4 hr trek to the mountains way more often then I make the trip to the beach. Hence why transferring to UNC Asheville is going to be a much better fit for me next year!

ckf2kcw: I agree with Aubrey on some of the hikes she listed. When I lived in Boulder this past summer a friend of mine from NC flew out to visit me. One of the first hikes I took him on was around the flatirons and to the top of flagstaff where we watched the sunset. He almost filled his digital camera memory with all of the pictures he took. 2 days later we tackled Mt. Harvard together. I suggested the duo of Grey's and Torrey's because I felt like I was on top of the world coming from the east coast. Before coming to Colorado I had never been higher than 6,000 ft and being up there was absolutely magnificent and the view was breath taking. For some basic hikes though Aubrey has listed some awesome ones. Some good 14ers to start with though I would definately recommend Grey's and Torrey's and take a look at the Collegiate Peak Wilderness as I really enjoyed the time I got to spend in that area. The drive from Boulder to there alone is amazing. Enjoy!

Postby Kojones » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:57 pm

Enjoy the People's Republic...

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby Aubrey » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:17 am

Vick wrote:Asheville is going to be a much better fit for me next year!

Definitely. Asheville is a pretty cool town, and the Blue Ridge Parkway runs pretty much right through it. Can't get any closer to the great outdoors.

Vick wrote: ckf2kcw: I agree with Aubrey on some of the hikes she listed.

In the words of Austin Powers, "I'm a man, baby!" :lol:

Postby Vick » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:41 am

Aubrey: My appologies! I have a cousin and her name is Aubrey and I did not even think twice about it when I saw the name! Please excuse my ignorance!

I also agree that Asheville is a pretty cool town. It kind of almost in a round about way reminds me of Boulder just on the east coast, surrounded by smaller mountains, and less snow in a year than Boulder in a week!

Postby beazleys » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:57 am

Vick wrote:Aubrey: My appologies! I have a cousin and her name is Aubrey and I did not even think twice about it when I saw the name! Please excuse my ignorance!

This combines two threads perfectly. First, I am a 6'1", bearded male who is named Sandy, so similar to Aubrey, am sometimes referred to as "her" and "she" by parties who do not know me.

Bringing this back to the 14ers.com calendar, the remaining 4 months could be filled in by guys with "girl's" names.

Postby Aubrey » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:04 am

Vick wrote:Aubrey: My appologies! I have a cousin and her name is Aubrey and I did not even think twice about it when I saw the name! Please excuse my ignorance!

I also agree that Asheville is a pretty cool town. It kind of almost in a round about way reminds me of Boulder just on the east coast, surrounded by smaller mountains, and less snow in a year than Boulder in a week!

No problem. I bet your cousin is less than 25 years old, am I right? I'm 33, and it seems that Aubreys who are roughly 25 or older tend to be male, whereas younger Aubreys tend to be female. In other words, when I was born in '73 Aubrey was predominantly a male name (Audrey is the female version) ... but nowadays it's becoming more popular for females.

I'm cool with it, though, and I'm confident in my masculinity. Although, sometimes I do feel like a lesbian trapped in a man's body. :twisted:

Postby ajkagy » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:26 am

I'm pretty new to boulder too, hit me up when you are in town and we could go hike a few rocks.