Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Conditioning

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Postby FlyGirl » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:33 am

I have to admit I have become quite bored with my workout lately. Too much indoor stuff but now that it has been nicer outside I've been hitting the 4 mile loop at Fox Run a lot and even then I've made that loop so many times I could walk it blindfolded. I got this iPod for Christmas and when I opened it I had to hide my disappointment because I wanted a Garmin eTrex (any model) but it turns out that iPod has become my favorite gadget. Who would have known? So to spruce up a boring walk in the park I have discovered (along with my iPod) the return of air guitar!
Yes folks! Air guitar and here to help me demonstrate are a few of my favorite rockers:
Lets start our warm up with Dwight Yoakam. With your right leg
extended begin tapping your heel in a back and forth motion.
Repeat with the left leg but gently now, this is only the warm up.
Are you playing your air guitar?

Although not playing a guitar, we should get into some cardio by screaming explicit Kid Rock lyrics. This will get your heart pumping
and help with breathing in higher altitudes. If people look at you strangely, explain you are high altitude training. People in CO will probably understand. If you are training in the Midwest, well . . . my condolences.

Now for some upper body with Stevie Ray Vaughan. Place your air guitar over your head, raising and lowering it several times will really help with those wibble-wobbles on the triceps
Now for balance as Randy Rhoads and Ozzy demonstrate. Jumping on other hikers as they pass by is good for their upper body strengthening and balance as well as your own. Proper balance techniques can also help with those tricky little areas of exposure you may encounter high on the peaks
We have two types of squats to demonstrate. First plie squats with Zakk Wylde. Make sure and get down low to work the inner thighs
Regular squats with Jimi Hendrix. You just can't do enough squats to keep those legs in tip-top shape for mountain climbing
For stress release we have Jimi with us once again.
Smashing your air guitar is a great tension reliever.
Stretching with Eddie Van Halen is also a very important part of the air guitar routine. Stretching helps relieve soreness and prevent muscle injuries.
And now for the final cool down with Slash in a yoga pose called corpse pose or death pose. Remember to breathe.
Following this simple air guitar routine with your iPod or musical entertainment device of choice on your daily walk will have you skipping above 12,000 feet in no time!

BTW USAKeller, I really did incorporate those leg extensions we discussed a while back into my real workout. My measly little legs could only lift 10 lbs when I started, I am now up to 40 lbs. Thanks for that advice.
Move like a heron, not like a water buffalo

14ers training

Postby jeff corriveau » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:49 am

You might want to look at the Denver Post today. They have a good article in the "Fitness" section on preping for a 14er. It also includes some other good information on first timer gear and peaks. Jeff

Postby grizz » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:02 am

I agree with what the others have posted.

Just wanted to add one thing.

I would consider training with the same gear (backpack, shoes, etc.) that you will be making the climb with. Bike, hike, climb stairs, etc. with your pack on.
Colorado Native

Postby cornfed » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:55 pm

Following this simple air guitar routine with your iPod or musical entertainment device of choice on your daily walk will have you skipping above 12,000 feet in no time!

Are you for real? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard.

Postby Skip Perkins » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:01 pm

Flygirl,
I'd use your training techniques but I noticed one small thing: SOME OF THOSE DUDES ARE DEAD. It didn't work for them and if I take my shirt off to train others will get homicidal tendencies.

Postby guitmo223 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:24 pm

Flygirl, having spent half my professional life as a musician, I can pretty much guarantee that these techniques, although well-intended, probably won't work too good. Your heart's in the right place though :wink:

climbhard511 wrote:hit the stairmaster for an hour a day with your pack on... it does 2 things, 1 gets your cardio level up and 2 gets your pack weight down, something that everyone can use.
-mark

grizz wrote:I would consider training with the same gear (backpack, shoes, etc.) that you will be making the climb with. Bike, hike, climb stairs, etc. with your pack on.

I work out at a gym in a secure area at Schriever AFB. If I could manage to get the gear through the portals, which is unlikely, I'd probably get arrested after the other gym rats reported me for strange and suspicious behavior.
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby FlyGirl » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:35 am

Rats! There goes my idea to patent the Air Guitar Workout and put it on DVD and make a million bucks. If it doesn't go over well on here then screw it. I was having a bad tax day yesterday so forgive my momentary lapse in brain function.
Move like a heron, not like a water buffalo

Postby grizz » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 am

I work out at a gym in a secure area at Schriever AFB. If I could manage to get the gear through the portals, which is unlikely, I'd probably get arrested after the other gym rats reported me for strange and suspicious behavior.

That's why I workout outside. No better training than real weather, real dirt, real hills, real gear. Colorado is the perfect place for year round out door training.
Colorado Native

Postby NM-Aggie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:46 am

Has anyone done any research into swimming as a way of conditioning for hiking and/or climbing?

I've been trying to get in 1-mile, 3 times a week. Swimming is the best way I know of for increasing lung capacity.

Laters,

NM-Aggie

Postby thebeave7 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:06 pm

NM-Aggie wrote:Has anyone done any research into swimming as a way of conditioning for hiking and/or climbing?
I've been trying to get in 1-mile, 3 times a week. Swimming is the best way I know of for increasing lung capacity.
Laters,
NM-Aggie

Lung capacity yes, but people keep forgetting that in order to ascend 3000-6000ft of elevation your legs have to be strong and have good endurance. While swimming is good for your cardio and easy on the joints, it doesn't work out your muscles the same way running/walking do.
A little anecdotal evidence, my sister was a competitive high school swimmer and still swims with masters programs during college. While she is in shape, running/hiking wise can not hold a candle to my speed. Me on the other hand, struggle to swim 1/2 mile, though I can hold a 1500-2500ft/h pace. Just my experience.
Eric

Postby guitmo223 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:02 pm

grizz wrote:

That's why I workout outside. No better training than real weather, real dirt, real hills, real gear. Colorado is the perfect place for year round out door training.

I agree. Unfortunately, Shriever is many, many miles from real anything (except maybe Kansas - and ask Dorothy how real Kansas is). I do a lot of speed walking outside though.
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill

Postby Gahugafuga » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:58 pm

cornfed wrote:Following this simple air guitar routine with your iPod or musical entertainment device of choice on your daily walk will have you skipping above 12,000 feet in no time!

Are you for real? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard.

Happiness is:

PreviousNext