Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Latitude 40 vs. Trails Illustrated Maps

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Latitude 40 vs. Trails Illustrated Maps

Postby hikerguy0 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:09 pm

Any opinions out there about Latitude 40 vs. Trails Illustrated maps? I want a larger scale map so I can plan a backpack that includes a 14er.

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:44 pm

They have a very limited number of maps, but I like SkyTerrain maps the best. If they cover your intended destination, check'em out...

http://www.skyterrain.com/

NG Topo! Colorado is great software too, and only $100 for 5 levels of mapping (down to 1:24,000 scale USGS) covering the entire state is hard to beat.

Postby hikerguy0 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:48 pm

http://www.skyterrain.com/

Nice! Looks like just what I need.

Question: Can you see the trails well on the NG Topo! Colorado software? I bought the software for CA & AZ, but am not impressed by the resolution even at 1:24,000. Very hard to pick out the trails.

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:43 pm

Some of the trails... it's just the reproduced USGS maps, so there are definately some missing trails here and there. Trails Illustrated, et al are better for seeing the (official) trails.

I often use a combination of maps. The larger scale Trails Illustrated and Sky Terrain ones for planning (they are always laying all over the house) and then I print off the USGS topos (11x17 on the color laser at work, gives more coverage than 8.5x11 and doesn't bleed like inkjet ink) when I need finer resolution (ie, for the actual climbing route, off trail travel area, etc).

Postby hikerguy0 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:34 am

LOL In other words get both. That's actually pretty good advice.

I've done the 11x17 print out thing at my office as well. Do you find the latest NG Topo software readable? I have a 2003 (2004?) version of CA, and it's really hard to pick out the trails. I have a 2006 version of AZ, and it's a bit better. I still find the printed copies from the USGS to be the best in terms of clarity.