Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Is the Gerry Roach CD worth the $$'s?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Is the Gerry Roach CD worth the $$'s?

Postby hikerguy0 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:05 pm

I was going to just buy the Is the Gerry Roach 14ers companion map packet alone, but Amazon says it's out of print. I can still get a map packet if I buy it with the Roach 14ers CD. Anyone got some solid experience using the CD? Is the CD worth the $$'s?

Postby Aubrey » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:19 pm

Not sure about the CD but I have the map pack and it's kinda' cool. They're handy to take with you on hikes (without having to rip pages out of a book). My only qualm is that the maps aren't zoomed in enough, but they do give you a good, general overview of the area -- including alternate routes.

Keep in mind, there are a couple errors here and there, but Roach's website spells them out in detail and describes the corrections.

I also own two of his DVDs -- Longs Peak and Chicago Basin. While they are a little corny, they offer some good information and footage ... and the campiness has kind of grown on me. But I may be biased, as I'm a big Roach fan. I even met him (and Jennifer) a year or so ago and he's a swell chap. His note that says, "Keep climbing, Aubrey!" hangs in my office at work.

Postby hikerguy0 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

When you say "not zoomed in enough," are the maps in the 14er companion map packet less of a "zoom" than the standard USGS topo maps?

Postby Aubrey » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:54 pm

Not sure what the ratio is, but I've yearned for tighter detail at times. There might be four or five distinct couloirs in front of you but the map may only show some smooth contour lines. I know that sometimes it doesn't get any better than that, but I like to dream.

Still, I believe the map pack maps are "zoomed in" (my technical term :wink: ) more than Natl. Geo. Trails Illustrated maps. However, they only show a specific area, whereas the NG Trails maps show entire regions.

Regardless, when I climb 14ers, I usually bring Roach's map along with the 14ers.com trail description. And to be honest, the maps on this site are usually all you need (unless you get way off route). I just like to be thorough ... and I love to stare at maps while drinking beer. It's relaxing. So I stare/study the Trails Illustrated maps before a climb, then I take Roach's map and a good color printout from this site with me on the climb.

hikerguy0 wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

When you say "not zoomed in enough," are the maps in the 14er companion map packet less of a "zoom" than the standard USGS topo maps?

Postby hikerguy0 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:04 pm

Do the National Geographic Trails Illustrated Maps show mileages?

Postby Aubrey » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:48 pm

hikerguy0 wrote:Do the National Geographic Trails Illustrated Maps show mileages?

Yeah, approximate scale (on the #138 Sangre de Cristo Mountains map I'm currently looking at) is 1:75,000. One inch equals 1.2 miles; one centimeter equals .75 kilometer. It also has GPS coords. It's also tear resistant and waterproof, which is really nice.

You can also go on the website and look at the maps before you buy. You can zoom in and everything. It's kinda' cool ...
http://www.ngmapstore.com/jump.jsp?item ... e=CATEGORY

Postby Spam » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:35 pm

Roach has them for sale on his website! It is truely NOT sucking up, but, I have never used my Roach maps much at all. I take them with me, however, I read the Roach book for where I am climbing and then I print out Bill's route guide from this site and stick it in my booney hat. Bills pics and descriptions top Roaches 14er book any day for they are always updated. The descriptions I have found to be right on.
"Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory." -- Ed Viesturs

Postby hikerguy0 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:37 pm

Yes, of course one can calculate the mileage via the scale, but that's a very imprecise measure given the twists and turns and ups and downs of a trail. What I mean is do they have little numbers beside the trails that show actual trail mileages that require no calculations?

Couldn't get the zoom feature to work. :(

Postby hikerguy0 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:41 pm

What's Gerry's website address? I followed a link from here to what I thought was his website and when I clicked on the map packet, they said "sold out." Maybe I followed the wrong link. Here's the link I went to: http://www.climb.mountains.com and here's the page that says "out of print:" http://www.climb.mountains.com/Book_Lan ... ap_Package

Postby mtnmaniac » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:53 pm

hikerguy0 wrote:Yes, of course one can calculate the mileage via the scale, but that's a very imprecise measure given the twists and turns and ups and downs of a trail. What I mean is do they have little numbers beside the trails that show actual trail mileages that require no calculations?

Couldn't get the zoom feature to work. :(

Multiply distance along shown trail by 1.25. Somewhere between that number and the apparent distance will be correct. No need to be all that precise. These trails are so warn, you can find the mountain without a detailed trail map, so long as you know how to read topography. I haven't even found the need for compass on a standard 14er route yet, let alone a GPS. One may help in a storm where visibility is nil, but you usually aren't hiking in those conditions anyway.
Are you hurt.... or injured?

Postby alanb » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:33 am

I have both the CD and the maps (they came as a set like you said), I think the maps are great however the CD is a bit dated with the software it uses. Honestly, I installed the CD played around with it for a bit and have not used it since. However, I love the maps so I'd say go ahead and get the set, solely for the maps.
"The mountains are calling, therefore I must go."
tweaked by me but originally John Muir

Postby CO Native » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:53 am

Just buy Nat Geo TOPO! for Colorado. It's the program that roach used to make the maps, plus now that you can download some (hopefully all soon) of the routes off this website you can create your own maps at the detail leve you want.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Next